Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bama89
Level 9

Re: TCL 6-Series and 8-Series Local Dimming quality in game mode from recent 9.3.0 firmware

That would require me connecting to internet and I don't want to update the tv lol. I don't notice much black crush on the brighter setting

0 Kudos
Tchocky
Level 8

Re: TCL 6-Series and 8-Series Local Dimming quality in game mode from recent 9.3.0 firmware

I'd like to clarify. What I'm seeing in Game Mode with a black screen, and with Local Contrast on High looks like the picture I get while Game Mode is Off and Local Contrast is also Off. It's like grey fog or clouds randomly across the screen and particularly in the corners. Is that normal with Local Contrast turned off? And on in the case of Game Mode? Sorry if that is confusing. I'm trying to determine if this is normal or if I have a defective TV. Thanks for any input. 

Bama89
Level 9

With it off yes it's normal and with the recent update it's normal in game mode as well. I'm still on a old software so my blacks are the same out of game mode as they are in game mode. Hopefully they fix it soon or I'll just never update the tv

Tchocky
Level 8

....and I should add that I really only notice it in a darker room and in particularly dark scenes of a game (or technically movie if game mode and local contrast are both off...which looks terrible so I've so far left local contrast on high as any other option is also bad). 

0 Kudos
Tchocky
Level 8

Ok, so just to clarify. Local Contrast on anything but High looking like a cloudy night sky is normal? I've been debating an exchange but if it's expected I wont bother. It look really great with LC on High. Really disappointing about Game mode though...

0 Kudos
Bama89
Level 9

Yes. Medium is not as bad as low or off but it's still greyish looking. High completely turn the leds off

0 Kudos
johnnyz86
Level 8

So I recently updated to 9.3.0 build 4194-88 and my blacks with game mode on now fully dim! My original video was made on 9.3.0 build 4182-88.

EDIT: that was short lived. It's now reproducing the issue, perhaps it needed another power cycle.

0 Kudos
Bama89
Level 9

That's good to hear. Guess I'll be updating mine soon

0 Kudos
Wvandeurschfait
Level 9

I've been on the 94 build since August 7th and the game mode high local contrast still isn't as deep as game mode off 

0 Kudos
Bama89
Level 9

Guess I won't be updating lol

0 Kudos