Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

TCL 6-Series and 8-Series Local Dimming quality in game mode from recent 9.3.0 firmware

When in game mode, local contrast / dimming set to High does not fully dim the backlight on black areas, unlike with game mode off. It appears this occurred with the May/June 9.3.0 update on both the 6-Series and 8-Series.

I recorded my last test which shows me changing the settings if anyone is interested. I included a separate reference brightness because it is very dark. The backlight should be completely off for black areas. It's easiest if you can show a completely black image in a pitch black room, then it's really obvious especially when looking at an angle.

With a PC you can pull up a black screen. Most consoles when playing a game will force the TV into Auto Low Latency Mode, which forces game mode on, even though it lets you toggle it off, so you will not see a change as shown above. If you can access youtube through a console then there are test videos that should work. Streaming via an app doesn't work of course since there is no game mode option with the apps. 

This is very disappointing that we can no longer choose to have fully dark blacks, even if it adds a bit of input lag, but instead we have to jump to Game Mode off which has a lot more input lag. 

I have made a support request but also wanted to see how much of the community this is an issue for. My return window is closing and thus am hoping to get an idea of if this would get reverted based on community feedback here. 

EDIT: Here is a video comparing 9.1.0 vs 9.3.0, same source, same settings, same exact TV, and even includes the firmware update to show it is exactly the firmware change that results in this.

It also appears that affects R635 owners.

78 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: TCL 6-Series and 8-Series Local Dimming quality in game mode from recent 9.3.0 firmware

Thanks a lot for reporting this, I hope Roku/TCL figure this out asap. I have seen this issues as well.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: TCL 6-Series and 8-Series Local Dimming quality in game mode from recent 9.3.0 firmware

Can confirm this is an issue and have tested the YouTube black screen video recommendation.

FALD on High no longer works properly in game mode.

Highlighted
Level 9

2 weeks later still nothing 

Highlighted
Level 9

Still having this issue all these weeks later. Between this one and the Game Mode one, this 9.3 firmware is trash.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes!! I thought I was tripping to be honest. I bought the 6 series in March and I recalled that the blacks were deep in game mode and the latency was great imo it felt like sub 20ms and then out of nowhere it's just a greyish color now but I will say that I have way less fald flashing in certain games like COD when transitioning from different lighting scenarios in game caused by the but if catch up the local dimming has to do while on high compared to the on screen action so maybe that's why they did it??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Didn't update my 8 series out of the box because of this. So I guess I'll be staying on 9.1 til a fix comes. If no fix comes im fine with not upgrading I use a appletv 4k and firestick for content anyway

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I just bought a series 8 and am having the same issue. Black screens in game are very cloudy. I hope they fix this but are you saying it wasnt like that before the patch?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

No it wasn't. I got this tv two weeks ago and haven't updated it yet because of this. So I still have deep blacks in game mode and haven't noticed much black crush or it just doesn't bother me enough to update

0 Kudos
Highlighted

When I first bought my 6 series it had a bit of black crush but then I changed the gamma to 2.4 instead of 2.2 on all my sources and the image was night and day, honestly amazing! I know it might be sacrilegious to do so but give it a try maybe you'll like it and you can always change it back if you don't.

0 Kudos