Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
onyx
Channel Surfer

TCL 55R615 RokuTV displays Closed Caption even when CC set to only show On Mute

As of 11.13.2020, TLC 65S423 also fails to hold Caption Mode to “On Mute”. Once the set is muted, captions are on screen, HOWEVER, after un-muting, the captions REMAIN on screen. Then checking Captions Mode, “On Always” shows as setting INSTEAD of “On Mute”.. The “On Mute” worked as expected until 11.13.2020. Frustrating !!!

Tags (1)
36 REPLIES 36
DaveMacD
Reel Rookie

Re: TCL 55R615 RokuTV (w/ audio output) displays Closed Caption even when CC set to only show "

I have the same problem after their recent software update.  Great to share, but who's planning to fix it?

--Dave MacDonald

Denton, TX

onyx
Channel Surfer

Re: TCL 55R615 RokuTV (w/ audio output) displays Closed Caption even when CC set to only show "

What DATE was the recent update?
 I saw one proposed fix from a “Roku-Expert” suggesting first to “unplug from the wall while the TV was on, .... wait about a minute, then plug it back in the wall.”.. If that didn’t remedy the issue, then go to the System Update and load the current update. I haven’t tried either of these suggestions yet, as I’m waiting on a reply from a tech-savy son-in-law, who originally recommended the TCL TV. Hope we find a solution, since this is becoming a common problem with TCL Roku TV.
Later today, I tried the “unplug from the wall...” suggested fix, but it DID NOT WORK..!! Hopefully the Roku Technology Department folks, will see these collective comments regarding the “Caption mode, ‘On Mute’ NOT STAYING SET”.. and supplement the latest Roku update 9.4.0 with a bug fix to resolve this annoying issue.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@DaveMacD @onyx 

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to investigate and look further into the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
onyx
Channel Surfer

Thank you.. “onyx” here:

Roku TV:      7133X

TCL model :  65S423

S/N :  YN00FH500583

Device ID : J698DF500583

Software Ver:  9.4.0 - Build 4190-30

This “On Mute” NOT holding it’s set, occurs on ALL of our OTA Channels. We do not have Cable or Satellite.

Thank you so much for your response and diligence..!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@onyx 

Thanks for providing us with the information I have requested.

I have passed along your information to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@onyx 

Can you please provide us with more specific information about how you are obtaining your OTA channels? Are you using an antenna/TV tuner?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nosnevets
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue, 

Tcl 55s401

Software 9.4.0 build 4190

Updated nov13

Closed captions switch to on, when set to on mute only. Must manually turn them off 

0 Kudos
onyx
Channel Surfer

OTA Channels to two TV’s are received simply by Rabbit Ears sitting on a platform IN the attic. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Nosnevets @onyx 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed your information along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
0 Kudos