Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CanMan141
Binge Watcher

Re: TCL 55R615 Audio Delay

I don't think they are testing with actual TV sets and soundbars: a dev cycle like this will be focused on testing using emulation software and vendor APIs - hence the problem.

Why not just add an option for a generic "Audio Delay" to the Roku UI?  And give the option of 10ms to 500ms?

TVs can do that.  AVR manufactures can do that.  Why can't the Roku platform?  Shouldn't take an advanced DSP engineer - this is basic DSP and should be all doable in software.

A phase 2 enhancement would be to make the delay input specific.  Again, some other devices do that & it's not rocket science.

rcukor
Channel Surfer

@CanMan141 wrote:

I don't think they are testing with actual TV sets and soundbars: a dev cycle like this will be focused on testing using emulation software and vendor APIs - hence the problem.

I guess it's too much to hope that they own a Roku personally?

@CanMan141 wrote:

Why not just add an option for a generic "Audio Delay" to the Roku UI?  And give the option of 10ms to 500ms?

I'm not sure this would help so much if the audio delay is variable..

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@rcukor wrote:

@CanMan141 wrote:

I guess it's too much to hope that they own a Roku personally?

@CanMan141 wrote:

I'm not sure this would help so much if the audio delay is variable..

Of course they have all Roku players available, as they are the manufacturer. But they don't build the TVs. They are all built by someone else and only use the Roku OS. Obviously impossible for them to have dozens of different makes and models of TVs available. This is something that TCL needs to address, and it doesn't appear that they are being very responsive. 

Hard to say if a manual delay setting would be of any value. To test it they have to have a way to replicate what is happening, and it sounds like they (Roku) are struggling with that. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
rcukor
Channel Surfer

Of course they have all Roku players available, as they are the manufacturer. But they don't build the TVs. They are all built by someone else and only use the Roku OS. Obviously impossible for them to have dozens of different makes and models of TVs available. This is something that TCL needs to address, and it doesn't appear that they are being very responsive. 

Hard to say if a manual delay setting would be of any value. To test it they have to have a way to replicate what is happening, and it sounds like they (Roku) are struggling with that. 

I do not believe that they cannot replicate this given the volume of complaints - nor have they issued a statement to this effect. Further, this wasn't an issue prior to Roku OS 8.1.

0 Kudos
California123
Channel Surfer

I live 10 minutes from Roku’s HQ in Los Gatos ... I might stand outside with a sign asking someone to look into the year long problem
boogernose
Roku Guru

@California123 wrote:
I live 10 minutes from Roku’s HQ in Los Gatos ... I might stand outside with a sign asking someone to look into the year long problem

Its really TCL you should be mad at I think. They made the Hardware.

You could always fly to GuangsDong in China and protest but theyll probably put you

in prison for years.

On a side note I still think getting a real Roku stick or something and streaming through a port would by pass the problem. ....No? they start at like 30 bucks.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
ipkrl
Reel Rookie

Just processed the return. Roku or TLC same thing! both equally responsibly for their project together. I am not buying Roku stick because of the experience with TLC **bleep** and bcz my new TV does not have extra HDMI port for it 🙂 

boogernose
Roku Guru

@ipkrl 

DooD calm down and give it a few days. Im sure theres a port on your TV.

'Don't be bitter, Reconsider'

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
aaronwt
Roku Guru

@CanMan141 wrote:

Geezz, was about to buy a 65R625 as it gets great PQ reviews.  And use ARC over HDMI to a Yamaha AVR.  I guess I won't now.

WHy not? EVeryone does not have the issue. I am using an Onkyo receiver with my 2018 6 Series. I have had no audio sync issues over the ARC with any content(I've had my set for thirteen months now). Whether DD, DD+, or DTS. Or 2.0, 5.1, 7.1, or Atmos audio. Or 2.0 PCM audio.

TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2019 Ultra--2016 Ultra

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos
bguscott
Binge Watcher

Can you try forcing DD 5.1 audio from an HDMI source (BluRay, come console, etc)?

A good example would be a first person shooter game on a console, where the bullet shots are great at determining the delay.

I've gone through a couple brand new motherboards with a TCL technician and it seems to be a defect within the TV's hardware or software. We verified that the HDMI source on another TV works without a delay, that the sound system on another TV or directly connected to the HDMI source works, and only when the TCL tv is used with an HDMI source is there a 100-300ms delay behind the video.

All Roku apps however that are part of the TV's OS work just fine.
0 Kudos