Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Antenna local channels

@lynda2006 wrote: "All channels" or "Recent channels".  It is very tedious ...

It would be great if there was a another option of favorite channels. 

People have been saying that for months. Roku has not acknowledged any shortcoming or oversight in this matter. In fact, at the height of the complaints about these uninspired changes to antenna tv (said to have broken antenna tv), Roku changed at least my background to a caricature of a broken antenna tv.

They're not listening. They don't care. They don't make money from people watching antenna tv. They want to put the revenue-generating content in your way, and make you land on more of it (longer). Carriage fees and ad-sharing is at stake. I think the mistake we all make is: we're not customers. We're the product being sold. Once you see it that way, it all makes sense. Why we're treated as we are, etc.

I hope I'm wrong and something will change. But, if you look back through this forum... that doesn't look like something to hope for.  Roku seems to wait for people to leave. Problem reports are treated as suggestions (casual, "thank you.").

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Mike-E
Streaming Star

Ok, I changed the ZIP CODE on my tv set to one nearby, not the real one I live in. Then I rescanned for channels. The guide data for WFFC-17 now comes in for all subchannels.

However, there is an issue: 17.5 is actually BUZZR, yet Roku has it listed as Azteca America, and has the guide data for that one. Now 17.1 is actually Azteca America, and that also shows guide data, but this one is the proper Azteca America.

There's also yet another problem, WAQP-49 just added 3 new channels, and those don't have guide data.

WAQPSAGINAW, MI
49-136.3 WAQP HD TCT    
49-236.4 SBN SonLife    
49-336.5 TheGrio The Grio    
49-436.6 LAFF Laff    
49-536.7 CrtMyst Court TV Mystery    
49-636.8 Grit Grit
Tags (1)
lynda2006
Streaming Star

The issue with the channel guide is not specific to antenna tv users, but really applies to any ROKU user.  It is because antenna users have had access to interactive channel guides like Titan TV, that they know the difference compared to the very basic ROKU channel guide.  They just need to focus on the issue and offer improved options.

Mike-E
Streaming Star

@lynda2006 wrote:

The issue with the channel guide is not specific to antenna tv users, but really applies to any ROKU user.  It is because antenna users have had access to interactive channel guides like Titan TV, that they know the difference compared to the very basic ROKU channel guide.  They just need to focus on the issue and offer improved options.

I agree, however I can't get an answer as to WHO we would submit lineup changes to, so they can be fixed. I don't know who their guide supplier is either, and that would be helpful.

0 Kudos
lynda2006
Streaming Star

I would think their guide supplier would be in house but who knows.  I don't think they would supply that kind of information to customers, especially if it is third party. I think all we can do is continue to make a suggestion.  Sometimes it takes repeated recommendations to rise to a level that gets recognition.

0 Kudos
Mike-E
Streaming Star

@lynda2006 wrote:

I would think their guide supplier would be in house but who knows.  I don't think they would supply that kind of information to customers, especially if it is third party. I think all we can do is continue to make a suggestion.  Sometimes it takes repeated recommendations to rise to a level that gets recognition.

I don't really care who their supplier is, BUT, if I knew that, I could check the guide from them, to see if they even have guide data for particular channels. I just wish they had a "Lineup Change" type form to officially submit for changes, like Tivo does.

We got some new subchannels the other day, I submitted a Lineup change to Tivo, and they are already working on it. I can even check progress for it on their Support page. Here, it just goes wherever, and you never really hear anything. That's a poor system.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@Mike-E wrote: I don't really care who their supplier is, BUT, if I knew that, I could check the guide from them, to see if they even have guide data for particular channels.

You'd think Roku would have structured that partnership to leverage Roku's customer base. If you were a guide service, wouldn't you welcome the PR of being Roku's guide service? If you had to sign an NDA about that, wouldn't you at least want the scadzillions of Roku customers helping to get your data complete & accurate (through a Roku-branded reporting mechanism, to maintain the NDA)?

If you were Roku, why would you go to such extents to hide your guide provider's identity? Or, not capitalize on your massive source of contribution to guide integrity? (Making the guide more valuable to others?).

Crowdsourcing is big. Roku's got a big crowd. Why is this even a topic?

There's so many things like this which tell me Roku has no future. I firmly believe Roku is this decade's MagicJack. The things Roku does, and thinks is good, are beyond comprehension. It's like they're in their own reality. This is exactly how Magicjack looked in 2010..

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Mike-E
Streaming Star

@Mike-E wrote:

Ok, I changed the ZIP CODE on my tv set to one nearby, not the real one I live in. Then I rescanned for channels. The guide data for WFFC-17 now comes in for all subchannels.

However, there is an issue: 17.5 is actually BUZZR, yet Roku has it listed as Azteca America, and has the guide data for that one. Now 17.1 is actually Azteca America, and that also shows guide data, but this one is the proper Azteca America.

There's also yet another problem, WAQP-49 just added 3 new channels, and those don't have guide data.

WAQP SAGINAW, MI49-136.3 WAQP HD TCT    49-236.4 SBN SonLife    49-336.5 TheGrio The Grio    49-436.6 LAFF Laff    49-536.7 CrtMyst Court TV Mystery    49-636.8 Grit Grit

I entered support ticket: 4152561 last week on this, and haven't heard anything. Is anybody working on this? Is there a way for me to go to a page and check that ticket to see if there's any updates?

I changed zip codes and now have epg data for my channel 17 - x channels, even though one of those is wrong, but the 49-4, 49-5, and 49-6 above have NO data in the guide.

0 Kudos
lynda2006
Streaming Star

Good thing you thought to try that.  At least you are well on the way to resolving the issue.

0 Kudos
Mike-E
Streaming Star

@Mike-E wrote:

WAQPSAGINAW, MI
49-136.3 WAQP HD TCT    
49-236.4 SBN SonLife    
49-336.5 TheGrio The Grio    
49-436.6 LAFF Laff    
49-536.7 CrtMyst Court TV Mystery    
49-636.8 Grit Grit

Well, I guess Roku has no intentions of ever fixing this issue. I'm still without guide data on these channels. I entered a support ticket, they replied saying they wanted me to send more info in a reply. I did so, and it just went into a black hole. I sent another reply, no answer to that one either. That was over 2 weeks ago.

Guess NOBODY should ever expect working guide data on all OTA channels on their Roku tv set.

0 Kudos