Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

TCL 50" Roku TV Will not connect to my wireless

I bought a brand new TCL 50 Roku TV and straight out of the box put it beside my router no luck on wifi connecting. So I took an ethernet cable and plugged it in from my router and it worked just fine. No problems after updating TV through wired connection was hoping this would resolve Wireless connection issue but did not.  I have talked to TCL Support two or three times Roku Support a couple of times I even called my Router Company Linksys and no luck.  I feel like this has to be a setting in my router that is limiting this but not sure how to resolve.  I have a Linksys WRT1900AC Router and I am using WPA2/WPS Mixed Personal Security Mode have 2.4ghz signal locked to channel 6 and the 5 ghz channel locked to 153. I have rebooted everything multiple times. Please anyone can you help? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: TCL 50" Roku TV Will not connect to my wireless

Is your router running the newest firmware? If not, try updating to the newest version. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@adfish wrote:

Is your router running the newest firmware? If not, try updating to the newest version. 

Yes I finally figured out the issue for some reason Roku's cannot handle passwords with special characters in it. I changed my routers password to alpha numeric and it worked just fine after that. Shame on you Roku this should get resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you for posting your solution. I was having the same problem with my Roku Express after buying a new Wifi 6 router. I spent a lot of time trying different configurations thinking that some new Wifi 6 features might be causing the problem. But it turned out removing special characters got it working. Funny thing is special characters never caused a problem before with our previous routers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Interesting so your old router had special characters and worked just fine but you had to change it on your new router?  I just assumed it was the roku built into the TV. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

We also had a Roku 1 that had problems connecting. I figured it was hopeless since it was so old. But changing the password got the Roku 1 to connect as well. Our Roku Ultras (a 2018 and a 2019 model) were both able to connect on 2.4Ghz band. Maybe it is a bug in the software for the older wireless hardware. Our other wireless hardware (phones, tables, laptops, etc) did not have problems connecting.

0 Kudos