Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wimzii
Level 8

Re: TCL 43S425 image stuttering while "game mode" is turned on

I appreciate the reply, but honestly I am surprised this fix worked for you. I get this stutter on xbox, which is made for 4k 60Hz output, and on PC, using a dedicated graphics card that is also definitely capable of 4k 60 Hz. It's possible that your problem might have been a faulty HDMI port, considering that you were using a laptop (perhaps with integrated graphics).

Anyhow, thanks again for the reply. Since it's a new TV I think I would rather just return the TV then invest in a potential solution of a powered DVI adapater (which wouldn't work with the xbox anyways).

For Roku dev team : I have noted that this error is sometimes resolved if I switch HDMI mode to HDMI 1.4, and then back to HDMI 2.0/Auto.

Sermart7
Level 7

I have the same problem on xbox. The only thing that seems to fix it is toggling game mode off/on. Hopefully they could fix this soon with an update or perhaps some other suggestion. I have the 55 inch btw

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I was able to fix it with my PC at least by enabling "GPU Scaling" in my GPU settings.  It seems to override whatever is happening with the TV itself.  I'll keep y'all posted if the issue returns even with this fix, but so far so good...

EDIT: Never mind.  I'm still having the issue.  It's just not as intense as it was.

Busybody
Level 8

Update: After update 9.4.0, build 4192, this has started happening again, but seemingly sporadically. It's still fixable by toggling game mode on and off in the settings after the input is selected, but that's pretty annoying, and it's very frustrating that a problem that was introduced with an update and fixed with the next one has arrived again with another update.

chrislbutler
Level 7

I am having the same issue, exactly as described by Busybody. This is a 55S20, it's basically a 55S435. Roku software 9.4.0, build 4192-93. I talked to TCL support and they pretend they can see nothing wrong happening in the video. They won't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLGag9FZQmA

This is a Youtube video of a floating DVD logo I took of the TV. The stutter happens at 1 second, 6 seconds, 14 seconds, 19 seconds, 26 seconds and 33 seconds.

With game mode off the stuttering is 90% gone, but there is still a little blip, mostly unnoticeable. Toggling things off and on such as game mode helps for a very short while, but it starts happening again pretty quickly.

Best option is going to the home screen and manually selecting the input.

0 Kudos
Busybody
Level 8

Yet another update: I seem to have figured out what the trigger for the glitch is, this particular time. It seems slightly different than when I made this thread, since that was fixed after a software update and a different update seems to have introduced this one.

Going back to the home screen or restarting the television while game mode is on, does not seem to be the trigger for the stutter this time. Instead, I have only been able to reliably trigger it by either turning my PS4 off and then on again, or if the PS4 toggles HDR mode off or on. It seems to me like the PS4's HDMI signal being interrupted is the trigger for this issue.

What's extra confusing this time is that it hasn't been happening to my Nintendo Switch this time, only the PS4. I can replicate the stutter on my PS4 on all 3 HDMI ports, but the Switch is totally fine on all of them.

Currently I'm on system 9.4.0, build 4200. Hopefully a future build will fix this issue like when it was happening back with 9.3.0. This whole debacle is really helping me see the value of televisions that can't connect to the internet and never receive software updates, though.

0 Kudos
8Bit
Level 8

@8Bit wrote:

I am having this same behavior with model TCL 55S20
Software version 9.4.0 - Build 4190-93 

All HDMI ports have the issue. Checked multiple cables, multiple devices, did a reboot, made sure there were no updates, ect. 

Toggling Game Mode off and then back on fixed it, until input is changed or TV is turned off.
Again, like yours if I swap inputs or turn the screen off then on the issue returns. It's like a duplicate frame every couple of seconds and it looks like it's an old frame (not just a pause).

Again, toggling game mode off then on seems to immediately fix it.

I took a high speed video of the issue with my phone and converted it to GIF so it's easier to see. This happens about every 6 seconds. This animation is normally smooth and it's not the game doing this. Toggling game mode off then on fixes it, until reboot or input change.
stutters.gif

For anyone else having this issue. If you are annoyed by turning the game mode off and on every time you want to use the screen another thing that seems to work around it for me is to do this.

Turn off "Last Input Used" in the power options. You'll boot to the Home screen each time and need to select the input manually, but for whatever reason that seems to avoid the issue from occurring. 

Settings -> System -> Power -> Power On -> Home Screen

For someone trying to hunt down this bug, here's a hint: if I also have the TV default to the HDMI port on boot the issue still occurs. But if I first go to Home screen and then select the input that also seems to avoid it, just like how toggling Game Mode off then on fixes it.

Update on this: Recently had the issue start to return and I had to begin toggling Game Mode on and off to fix it. 

I've also found that if I turn on "Fast TV Start" after going through the Game Mode toggle the change seems to stick.
The settings is at Settings -> System -> Power -> Fast TV Start (Enabled)

This only seems to stick if I have the TV boot to the home screen, and not the last input used (unfortunately). That's how it is for my screen right now anyway.

est-1996
Level 7

Thank you so much for keeping us all updated on this, i thought i was going crazy and im so glad you give the helpful "for now" solution lmao, please keep us updated if anything changes. Not many people get on just to give an update on a solution to a problem... you sir are a legend and are appreciated by many.

0 Kudos
Gcr0563
Level 7

Has there been any update on this issue?  Been experiencing the same judder on Xbox series x with a 55s420.  Is there a software update fix coming?  Currently the only way to fix is to turn off game mode and turn back on again.

thanks 

0 Kudos
Busybody
Level 8

I opened a support ticket but haven't really gotten any replies other than pretty obviously boilerplate responses, and stuff like "what's your serial number, model number, etc." I still have to toggle game mode off and then on again to get it to behave normally. I guess there's not much to do except wait for a new system update. At least this issue is a minor annoyance at worst, since it can be temporarily fixed so easily.

0 Kudos