Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Busybody
Level 8

TCL 43S425 image stuttering while "game mode" is turned on

Yesterday there was a software update to Roku version 9.3.0, build 4170-93 to my television, the TCL 43S425. Since that update, when game mode is active in the video settings, the picture stutters every few seconds, sometimes showing the previous frame again before jumping forward to the correct frame. This persists on every HDMI port, with multiple input devices, and through system restarts and hard power cycles by unplugging the television and waiting.

Turning off game mode stops the stuttering, but obviously the decreased latency of game mode is important for playing games that require a quick reaction time. I think this is a software issue because it didn't start until after the update. Hopefully a future software update fixes this issue, but I wanted to bring it up here in case there's some way to fix it I might be overlooking.

24 Replies
Stag
Level 7

Re: TCL 43S425 image stuttering while "game mode" is turned on

I'm having the same issue. I was afraid it was just me. Hopefully this gets fixed soon. When HDR is enabled for games that have it, while game mode is on, my image stutters every second or so. 

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Stag @Busybody

Thanks for the information.

Can you please send me a PM (private message) with the following information:

-Your Roku account email address
-Roku TV brand and model number
-Roku TV serial number
-Roku TV OS version and build (both of these can be found in Settings > System > About
-What gaming console are you connecting to the TV?
-Do you have an AVR setup? If so, what is the setup?
-Have you tried plugging your console to another HDMI post on the TV and are you still experiencing the issue?

With this information, I will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
MGRDesperado
Level 8

I thought my TV was dying but this is the same exact issue I'm having ever since the update having game mode on makes the image stutter every few seconds having it off fixes it.

Busybody
Level 8

I've found that turning Game Mode off and on again removes the stuttering until the next time that input is opened with Game Mode on (that seems to be the actual trigger for the glitch). So it's just a very minor annoyance now. Hopefully the next software update fixes it.

damilkmayne
Level 7

Any updates? I’m having the same issues with my Hisense R8F and Dish Hopper.

0 Kudos
plusilikefrogs
Level 8

@Stag @MGRDesperado @Busybody @damilkmayne 

I had this same issue with my brand new TCL 43S425 stuttering like crazy with my laptop. I could turn on a video and you'd watch the frames skip every few seconds, nearly packed it up and send it back. Then got a tip that there might be an issue with the video output from my HDMI adapter not being able to handle the higher refresh rate. Bought a higher fidelity adapter specific to 4k@60Hz and now it works beautifully 

Tags (2)
8Bit
Level 8

I am having this same behavior with model TCL 55S20
Software version 9.4.0 - Build 4190-93 

All HDMI ports have the issue. Checked multiple cables, multiple devices, did a reboot, made sure there were no updates, ect. 

Toggling Game Mode off and then back on fixed it, until input is changed or TV is turned off.
Again, like yours if I swap inputs or turn the screen off then on the issue returns. It's like a duplicate frame every couple of seconds and it looks like it's an old frame (not just a pause).

Again, toggling game mode off then on seems to immediately fix it.

I took a high speed video of the issue with my phone and converted it to GIF so it's easier to see. This happens about every 6 seconds. This animation is normally smooth and it's not the game doing this. Toggling game mode off then on fixes it, until reboot or input change.
stutters.gif

For anyone else having this issue. If you are annoyed by turning the game mode off and on every time you want to use the screen another thing that seems to work around it for me is to do this.

Turn off "Last Input Used" in the power options. You'll boot to the Home screen each time and need to select the input manually, but for whatever reason that seems to avoid the issue from occurring. 

Settings -> System -> Power -> Power On -> Home Screen

For someone trying to hunt down this bug, here's a hint: if I also have the TV default to the HDMI port on boot the issue still occurs. But if I first go to Home screen and then select the input that also seems to avoid it, just like how toggling Game Mode off then on fixes it.

wimzii
Level 8

You captured the stutter perfectly. The only exception is that your solutions do not always work for me. Sometimes exiting into the menu and reselecting the input does work, but for me sometimes the stutter remains. If I plug my PC into the port I am also unable to toggle "game mode" so it is harder to create a fix

plusilikefrogs
Level 8

My problem with PC was resolved by using a powered DVI adapter to ensure 4k/60Hz output