Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

TCL 2019 R625 Soundbar Audio Sync Stinks

TCL 55R625 TV ver 9.2.2 with Audio Input set to PCM-STEREO (but I have tested each option)
Vizio Soundbar 5.1.2 channel SB36514-G6 with Atmos
Apple TV4K, Xfinity X1 cable box
Kinivo Pro HDMI switch (Also tried direct connection to TV)

I was having so many headaches with lip sync using the TVs HDMI ports that I bought a 4K60hz capable switch so I could send all my devices through the hdmi Passthrough port on the Soundbar.

I have tried all the TCL audio settings, and sure PCM-Stereo will improve lip sync sometimes but it defeats the purpose of having an Atmos or Surround soundcapable setup.

Built in Roku apps tend to sync most of the time but that doesn’t help with Cable or AppleTV...

The consumer shouldn’t be having to deal with these headaches in 2019. Do we really have to wait for earc to have a decent audio video experience?

Switching the TV Setting/Audio to PCM-Stereo disables all Surround/Atmos formats in Roku built in apps. Disney, Apple, and Netflix only output PCM as one would expect, but yes, lip sync worked to the soundbar over HDMI arc.
HDMI connected devices like the xfinity X1 and Apple TV also sync sud much better with the TV Audi PCM-stereo setting but the behavior is much stranger: The soundbar will still report Atmos with conten that supports it with this setting? Why? Because the Apple TV4K is connected to the soundbar instead of the TV maybe? Who knows.
It’s all just super frustrating and it would be great if TCL would offer some clarification and tips OTHER than using PCM and defeating the surround capabilities of this TV.
Labels (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: TCL 55R615 Audio Delay

I wanted to add that the TCL 55R625 now has software 9.2.2 available for but it hasn't helped my lip sync problems.

I have a Vizo Soundbar SB36514-g6. PCM stereo setting on the TV will kind of allow sync to work but at the cost of loosing all surround sound capabilities so that is not an adequate fix.

The passthrough option should work, but either the tcl or the tv has trouble switching sources or formats with this setting and the sound will suddenly just drop, requiring a TV restart to get it back (sometimes switching sources will bring it back as well).

The apps built-in to roku tend to have the best lip sync with the Auto detect or passthrough audio setting, but audio delays will come back if I switch to my xfinity x1 cable box which has to use and a hdmi port on the tv or the passthrough on the soundbar. Same goes for my Apple TV4K: I will get a delay using the soundbar passthrough or the tv's hdmi port.

So, if you plan to just use the Roku apps, then you will probably be okay with sync (you will only have one delay to deal with on the soundbar) otherwise you will find youself needing to set different delays for each source.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: TCL 65 6 Series 2018 Audio Delay

I have my TV speakers turned off, so it makes send that some audio features would not appear if they only affect the built-in audio.

Ive had some success running my Apple TV through the HDMI Passthrough on my soundbar bar and turning of Dolby Atmos in the Apple TV settings. Without Atmos, the Apple TV uses multi channel PCM which registers as regular 5.1 Dolby Digital on my soundbar and lip sync works across all content on the Apple TV and it’s apps.

Internal Roku apps also have correct sync with either the default auto detect or Passthrough Audio input setting and Dolby Atmos will work and sync correctly for Roku apps that support it (just Disney+ as far as I know, Apple TV doesn’t do Atmos or Dolby Vision through their app).

my Xfinity X1 Cable box is the remaining sync issue. It is plugged into one of the TVs HDMI ports and still has a different audio delay than the Apple TV and Roku app content. If I run the cable box through the soundbar instead, it will sync correctly.

This leads me to believe that the TCL tv is introducing audio delay even if Passthrough audio mode is enabled on the TV and that indicates a possible issue with the TVs HDMI feature set. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Registered to say I have exactly the same issue. I can replicate the delay simply by navigating the tv settings menu using the built in speakers  

The problem seems worse with any multi channel source.

Noticeably, if I attach my AVR via HDMI ARC or optical and switch tv settings to stereo pcm, the pcm signal light of my avr will flicker if I pause between moving the onscreen selector. (One click, pause, another click). It also drops the “click” noise for the second click. If I quickly move through the menus, as to continuously keep the audio channel alive, it works fine. 

This really seems like a firmware issue but my TV is out of warranty so I can’t open a support ticket.

Currently using software 9.2.0.4502

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Update:  still the Same problem but it helps to manually set all to Dolby Digital / DTS so no conversion needs to happen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Same here on a 55R617 with an Apple TV4K and a Sonos Beam connected over ARC.

I have Lip Sync issues with Dolby Digital content. Dolby Vision content makes the lip sync even worse, as does game mode. 

I would really like to be able to use game mode without lip sync issues.

Audio is set to auto passthrough.

Will this ever be fixed? I have had my TV for over a year now with no resolution.

Firmware version 9.3

0 Kudos