Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Streaming format playback - Not getting 4K on TCL TV

After several weeks of troubleshooting which the TCL TV was not playing in 4K hardwired over ethernet. No Channels were playing in 4K not even the 4K spotlight or ROKU 4K video shorts app I have come to realize there is a bad bottleneck from the firmware TV to Roku's software. Amazon Finally got fixed in an update on 3/13/2020 so Amazon is now playing UHD.  Netflix is Highly aware of this situation as I have contacted them and their response was that they are seeing multiple help calls regarding RokuTCL.

I just took video proof that TCL and Roku are having the bottleneck to stream UHD/4K content.

1st video: I displayed my router tests which test DHCP conflict, IP conflicts, Connectivity, and Ethernet cables on the network. (all my hardware is hard wired even the TV). All tests are green.

2nd and 3rd video: I displayed Hardwired connected XBOX speed at 505 mbps, then tested the Netflix in app network check and tested netflix through XBOX at 478 mbps. Demonstrated that the dolby vision notification displays while on opening Netflix app.

4th Video: Tested the hardwired TCL roku TV speed and got 86 mbps. Then opened Netflix and tested the network from Roku software and TCL Firmware and only got 17.87 mbps!!!! No Dolby Vision notification displayed. THIS TV/Roku simply will NEVER let you play Netflix at 4k. I sent these videos to TCL.

Roku will you please address. There is definitely an issue with the implementation of Firmware to software to TCL. Thank you and please get that update. You fixed Amazon on 3-13-2020 please fix Netflix and others.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Streaming format playback - Not getting 4K on TCL TV

I get it! It's painful. Ive been trying to get 4k streaming going.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

i think Roku is going to help Amazon selling Fire sticks. From what I gather from several posts here The Roku implementation is garbage, but the EU decided to bypass it all together and use fire TV And their bottleneck went away and can now stream in UHD without having to have my console powered on the entire time I use the TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have a TCL55R615 (in the states).

Both my Netflix and Amazon 4K contact display on my TV from the built in apps, all running the current version (I think my Ruku version is from Dec 2019.) All Dolby content from the Netflix app, displays the Dolby logo before it begins, and I get the same UHD logo from Amazon (Amazon does not seem to have much formal Dolby content).

However, when I switch to my XBOX One (original non 4K model) and use the same 2 apps on the Xbox, the pictures, though NOT 4K are exceptional and look better then the 4K from the built in app. So much so, I'm thinking of downgrading the Netflix to just HD and using it via the Xbox.

HBO which does not have any 4K content looks much better via the Xbox.

I'm wondering if the Consoles just have better algorithms, compression and processors vs the TV cheaper processors. The TV looks fantastic if supplied amazing external data streams, I'm guessing not as good from these cheaper TCL TV's internals.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I Decided to do what another user suggested and put a Firestick and do not use Roku and the Netflix Bandwidth is now 78mbps as opposed to 17mbps It is the Roku software I knew there had to be a bottleneck. TV is great now and I finally get 4k.  TCL should drop ROKU like a ton of bad dirt. 

0 Kudos