cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkBevan
Reel Rookie

Streambar - sound mainly coming from one side

Jump to solution

I bought a Streambar last week (and the setup went fine), but almost all of the sound comes from the left front firing speaker (the forward facing one, not the side facing one).

This doesn't seem right, and that front left speaker is clearly working far too hard. It doesn't sound great, and I'm sure it would sound much better, if the load was spread more evenly between the two front firing speakers.

I would expect the side firing speakers to typically have a much lower lower volume than the front firing speakers (which they do), but surely something like a voice in the centre, should be coming out of both front firing speakers, not almost exclusively the left one.

It doesn't seem to matter which source is playing (the Roku itself, the TV, or another source plugged into the TV).  It even does it when playing the Roku Cinematic Sound demo !

I have tried plugging the Streambar into a couple of different TVs (always using an HDMI ARC socket), and a couple of different HDMI leads (including the one that came with the Streambar), but the sound always comes out of the left side front speaker.

The recent software build 4196 update, hasn't improved things.

Any suggestions ?

I still have the option to return this Streambar (for a few more days), if this is how they all are.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Streambar - sound mainly coming from one side

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reporting your feedback however we have confirmed with our audio engineers that this is the intended behavior of the Roku Streambar. While the Streambar has 4 speakers we avoid using both center speakers for center content as this would cause audio filtering issues however, when lower frequency sound is played more of the audio drivers are engaged. Your Streambar is behaving as designed to provide the best sound quality and when listening to content at a normal distance the Streambar should sound as expected.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
MarkBevan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If it's any help, the serial number of my Streambar is: YL002T468643.

I have also tried restarting the Streambar, via System the menu option.

0 Kudos
MarkBevan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

For info, I raised a ticket with Roku support about this & they sent me some settings to try as follows:

'Please follow the suggested troubleshooting steps mentioned below and check if that would resolve your issue:

• Turn the volume mode "OFF", during playback of any content, press the (*) button on your remote. A menu will open on the left-hand side of the screen. Do you have any 'Volume mode' enabled if " yes" please change it to disable (off)

Use the steps below to access settings and select an audio mode.

1. Press the Home button on your Roku TV remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select System, followed by Audio.
  4. Select S/PDIF and ARC and make a selection.

Please refer to the FAQ:

https://support.roku.com/en-us/article/360011704154 (How do I adjust audio settings on my Roku® audio device?)'

None of those settings changes or anything in the FAQ improved things, so I confirmed that to then & asked:

'Is the Streambar supposed to constantly have most of the sound coming out of one of the four speakers ?
If not, then there is a problem with my unit, in which case I will send it back to Amazon as faulty, and request a replacement.'

The answer was:

'The stream bar has to get the audio from all the speakers. Please get it replaced from the Amazon.'

I have therefore asked Amazon to replace it, and will update this message when the replacement arrives and I have tested it.

0 Kudos
Ringo71

Jump to solution

I'm also finding that the majority of the sound is coming from the left speaker. I've tried the fixes mentioned and also had Amazon replace my original unit. Same problem with the second unit. Firmware is the latest.

Roku Admins - Are you aware of this issue?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Ringo71

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look into the issue further.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rew452
Channel Surfer

Roku Streambar, left channel sounds louder than right channel!

Jump to solution

I have had the Streambar for few days now but have noticed that the left side seems louder than the right. So far I cannot find any Balance adjustment.

For example if one is listening to a narration the voice seems more pronounce on the left side than the right. Why?

Except for this issue I am very impressed with overall sound quality.

Please advise

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Streambar, left channel sounds louder than right channel!

Jump to solution

@Rew452

Thanks for the post.

Is this happening across all channels or a specific channel?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rew452
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Danny,

Sorry I just saw your reply. Did not get any notice of your reply.

The sound balance, left - right seems to be off; left channel seems louder then right.

This true on using fiber connection from my PC  and seems to also happen when watching a Roku channel although harder to say since most are at the least stereo audio.

Ideally when balance is correct sound should seem to come from the center of the soundbar, not right or left,

I do find it odd that a Balance Adjustment control is not part of the Sound adjustment. 

Model - 9102R

Serial number - YLOOGX652854

Software version - 10.50 build 4201-95

Device ID - 2A117G652854

Purchased from Amazon

Wayne

0 Kudos
Luda83
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem, I just picked up another one today and it’s doing the same thing. 

0 Kudos
Luda83
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue. I just picked up another unit and it’s doing the same thing 

0 Kudos