Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TarheelWes
Level 9

Strange Issue with Dolby/Dolby Plus on TCL 6 series

First, my set up: 

New 2020 TCL Roku 6 series (R35). 

Older Onkyo TX-NR414 AV Receiver, connected via HDMI out to the eARC in on the TCL

Apple TV 4k connected to HDMI 3 on the TCL 

Here's the issue: 

If I choose, under audio settings, "Auto Passthrough" for the s/pdif and eArc setting, I lose Dolby sound if rewind or fast-forward a movie scene from any app on the TCL itself. For example, watching Inception (to test my surround sound) from Amazon Prime on the TCL.....I start the movie, my receiver shows the Dolby codec. If I rewind a scene, the receiver loses the codec and the surround is gone. I tested this with other native apps (Netflix, Disney+...same thing). 

Now, if I watch the same movie from the same app (Inception, from Amazon Prime) but this time from the Apple TV.....I do NOT lose Dolby when fast forwarding or rewinding.

So, that's issue #1, why am I losing Dolby if I rewind or fast-forward a movie or show from the TCL source. 

Now, issue #2 is this: If I change the s/pdif and eArc setting to Auto Detect....my receiver shows the Dolby Digital Plus codec.....NO MATTER what the source.......for example, Casablanca is not DD+. The codec does NOT disappear when I rewind or fast forward, but it doesn't appear to be accurate. For example, using the same movie, Inception, it shows DD+ but it's really just DD. 

I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on here. (On an unrelated, or possibly related note, depending on which s/pdif setting and depending on if I'm using TCL or Apple, the lip sync in Amazon Prime video only can be quite off or dead on, and this seems to be only in Prime) 

Just to eliminate the possibility, I did put new HDMI cables on all the connections. 

Any ideas? 

40 Replies
klambert
Level 9

Re: Strange Issue with Dolby/Dolby Plus on TCL 6 series

I'm having the same issue with a 50S535 TCL Roku TV connected via ARC to an Onkyo TX-SR393 receiver.

If the TV is set to auto detect, it correctly detects DolbyDigital+ and DTS. However, it outputs 2 channel programs at DD+. This appears to be a 5.1 signal with audio in L and R and silence in the remaining channels. However, my receiver has some quite good Dolby Surround processing for 2.0 and I would have to manually change the receiver to interpret this with the Surround processing and utilize all 5 speakers, then change the receiver back to DD+ when there was an actual DD+ program. In addition, auto does not send atmos to my receiver.

If I set the TV to auto passthrough, it detects the receiver is DD+/DTS compatible and all is well. DD+ programming is outputted as DD+, atmos is correctly passed when available, 2.0 programming is outputted as 2.0 and the AV receiver therefore chooses the correct decoding. However, when rewound or fast forwarded, everything reverts to 2.0 and the only way to restore DD+ is to quit out of the program and restart it.

As an aside, if I'm watching a DD/5.1 show with 2.0 commercials, the output will switch correct to 2.0 for the commercial, then back to DD when the show restarts. The problem is something inherent to the FF/RW function and obviously a bug.

TarheelWes
Level 9

Do you have any other external streamer you can try, like a fire stick or Apple TV, to see if the issue is limited to the Roku OS?

0 Kudos
klambert
Level 9

I switched over to some streaming apps on the PS4 and there's no issues with rewind (PS4 -> TV -> ARC/Receiver), so it seems like it's a "Roku TV" issue.

0 Kudos
ahryn
Level 7

I am also seeing the same issue as your number 1: Dolby Audio is reverting to stereo after RW/FF in several apps (netflix, hulu, amazon, apple). The original audio (e.g. DD+ or Atmos) can only be recovered when exiting the video and then re-entering. 

I have a TCL 65R635 SW 9.4.0 attached by HDMI (eARC for audio as "Auto passthrough") to a Denon AVR-S750H. I agree this sounds like a bug and hopefully there is a response or update soon.

0 Kudos
TarheelWes
Level 9

Wonder if anyone official can see this thread and actually look into it 

0 Kudos
klambert
Level 9

I kind of wonder if they even care. FWIW this is not an issue with our equipment and an external Roku, which is what we're now using. 

klambert
Level 9

Still really annoyed by this. I submitted a question to TCL and I'd highly suggest others do so.

0 Kudos
TarheelWes
Level 9

Yea agreed. But I think it’s Roku software and not so much TCL. 

0 Kudos
klambert
Level 9

I'm not sure where one leaves off and the other picks up. Certainly, the external devices don't have this problem. I now have a brand new Ultra plugged into a brand new Roku TV, due to this issue, which is absurd.

OTOH the Ultra has its own issues like Netflix not honoring the match display rate and juddering up anything mastered in the UK at 25hz. Really, we never had an issue with Roku until this generation of TV/devices. It just worked. This is incredibly disappointing.

0 Kudos