cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Soundbar not working until power reset

Jump to solution

I have a new Roku Smart Soundbar that I bough in August. I had no problems installing it and using it for sound and Roku applications. Since then if the Soundbar and TV are off for a 24 hours or so the app doesn’t work until I unplug it from power and plug it in again. Pressing remote On/Off doesn’t do anything. The sound which is how TV output played is working on the Soundbar. After Power unplug/plug, all works with everything including Remote power on and off until the next day when it needs to be unplugged off and on again. The setup is: Roku Smart Soundbar. Brand new 65” 4K Samsung Smart TV. It’s connected via HDMI ARC cable. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Soundbar not working until power reset

Jump to solution

Edmund, You were on the right path with your recommendation. I figured out the issue. It was with configuration settings on the Samsung TV. I found a reference to HDMI ARC settings in the 'Advanced' section of the TV settings and I flipped the setting from Off to On to see if it would have any effect. When I woke up today I tried the Roku remote and it worked exactly as it should. Looks like the problem is solved. I honestly didn't think that the Samsung TV was the problem, but your recommendation to look at the settings prompted me to look again and that is when I found the 'ARC' setting I didn't see before.  Thank You

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Try refreshing the cec devices in the menu of your tv? The power command on the roku soundbar remote is a roku command, when the roku sees it it sends a power command over the hdmi cable to whatever tv its connected with. Tv's when off are in a standby state so it can accept IR command from a remote, something might have changed in the tv setup so where when in the standby state it isn't accepting signals over the hdmi cable? If you have true tv remote nearby with IR power command you wouldn't need to unplug anything. 

Another thing you could try, originally when the roku soundbar was released you couldn't program a tv brand in, resason all tv brands that accept hdmi-cec signals accept the same signal no matter what brand iof tv it is. But later upgrade allowed you to program a tv in and control it be IR instead of hdmi-cec, give it a try:

settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in use> program tv> follow prompts

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Edmund, I want to clarify what is not working with the Roku. Roku remote turns the TV on and off just fine. Roku volume is working fine as I can hear the clicks increasing up ad down. What is not working until the Soundbar power recycle is the Roku App with all the Roku icons. What I get is a circle in the middle of the screen spinning and eventually the error that says unable to connect. Check your connection 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Edmund, You were on the right path with your recommendation. I figured out the issue. It was with configuration settings on the Samsung TV. I found a reference to HDMI ARC settings in the 'Advanced' section of the TV settings and I flipped the setting from Off to On to see if it would have any effect. When I woke up today I tried the Roku remote and it worked exactly as it should. Looks like the problem is solved. I honestly didn't think that the Samsung TV was the problem, but your recommendation to look at the settings prompted me to look again and that is when I found the 'ARC' setting I didn't see before.  Thank You

View solution in original post