Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Soundbar not switching on

I have a TCL Roku TV and a Roku soundbar connected by an HDMI cable. For about the first month I had these I would turn them on with my Roku remote and it would say “switching to Roku soundbar” and give me a 5 second countdown. However, now it will only switch to the soundbar if I turn it off and back on, which can be very annoying. How do I remedy this? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Soundbar not switching on

@Chris2489 Thanks for the note here. Are you using your Roku TV remote, or the Roku Smart Soundbar remote paired to your Soundbar when turning your device on? Does using the opposite remote still encounter this issue? 

Have you tried setting up your soundbar again to see if this helps resolve the issue? I would suggest reviewing your settings for HDMI ARC and CEC, trying to toggle these on/off/on, and see if the issue persists from there. You can see more about the setup requirements here: https://support.roku.com/article/360035093774-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-smart-soundbar-with-my-roku-tv...

If that isn't clearing up the issue, please provide any additional details that you have available and we'll continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I am having the exact same issue. My TV is a Hisense Roku but my issue is exactly the same. I have tried everything including doing a factory reset on the TV and the Roku soundbar and re-pairing the devices. Very frustrating.

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@Chris2489 Thanks for the note here. Are you using your Roku TV remote, or the Roku Smart Soundbar remote paired to your Soundbar when turning your device on? Does using the opposite remote still encounter this issue? 

Have you tried setting up your soundbar again to see if this helps resolve the issue? I would suggest reviewing your settings for HDMI ARC and CEC, trying to toggle these on/off/on, and see if the issue persists from there. You can see more about the setup requirements here: https://support.roku.com/article/360035093774-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-smart-soundbar-with-my-roku-tv...

If that isn't clearing up the issue, please provide any additional details that you have available and we'll continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I am using the Roku Soundbar remote and I already repaired it again. But when I turn the power on using my Roku soundbar remote it opens up using the TV screen. I then have to power off and power back on to get it to switch to the soundbar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

If your using the Roku Soundbar remote, and its opening up to the tv home screen, all you have to do is press the home key of the sound remote and you'll go to the home screen of the soundbar. No need to turn off the tv and back on. 

You could also try going into the Roku tv settings with tv remote:

settings> system> power> power on > select the input the soundbar is connected to.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I had the exact same problem. I don't know what made me think of it, but I tried removing the batteries from my remote, then putting them back in. This always worked, but I had to do it multiple times a day. I finally just threw away the batteries (even though they were only a few months old) and put in new batteries. I haven't had the problem since then. Maybe the original batteries that come with the remotes aren't good quality. 

Highlighted
Level 8

It worked. Thank you so much. It was so annoying and I had tried everything, including Roku tech support which was not much help. Who would ever thought it was the enclosed batteries. So happy for your help. :-)

Highlighted
Level 7

@bubbapablo I'm so glad it worked for you. It was just dumb luck that I messed around with the batteries and it really is crazy that the solution is something so easy. 

0 Kudos