Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobh94
Level 7

Soundbar Issues - volume control lag, home button and power button not working, etc.

I have a Smart Soundbar. Was working great, then about a month ago:

List of issue:
- Lag when adjusting the volume up/down, several second delay when up/down on volume, sometimes the commands will stack and then the Roku will just reboot.
- Power button will not turn the Roku on/off, it use to.
- Home button will not change the TV input to Roku, it use to, light blinks on Roku when pressing the home button but nothing happens.
- Roku will not respond sometimes and will reboot itself

The soundbar was working great until about a month ago, then one day all of this. Its like they pushed an update that messed it up.

Roku support says it is the remote. But I tried the Roku app on my phone, which has a remote built into it, and it does the same exact things with the app remote. I also updated the batteries in the remote and repaired it with the soundbar, no fix.

They also said they were shipping a new remote but that was 2 weeks ago.

When I talk with Roku support, only via email, all they say is that they have updated my support ticket but they don't tell me anything to help. And btw, I don't know where to see the updates to the support ticket. I have looked, no place to see Service Requests that I have posted.

Has anyone been experiencing these things?

Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6\
darthalal
Level 7

Re: Soundbar Issues - volume control lag, home button and power button not working, etc.

I'm experiencing the exact same issues with my Roku Soundbar. In addition, HDMI ARC has stopped working, so the Soundbar will no longer work with any other inputs or devices, and I'm forced to use the TV speakers for everything that isn't run through the Soundbar itself.

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Soundbar Issues - volume control lag, home button and power button not working, etc.

To replace the hdmi-arc, use a combination of regular hdmi and the optical for two-way communication. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mhill
Level 8

Exact same issues with my new Smart Soundbar connected to my TCL Roku TV: after a day or two of working fine, it lost the ability to connect with ARC (don't know whether that's the fault of the TV or the soundbar, but it's Roku's fault either way), delayed and sticky response to volume changes, either from the remote or the phone app (so it's not the remote's fault).

I'm sending audio to the soundbar with the optical cable right now. I have to explain to my wife now why she has to use one remote for the TV and another nearly identical looking one for the volume. And to change any sound settings, you have to stop what you're watching, switch inputs to the soundbar and navigate to its settings menu. (This used to appear on the Roku TV when ARC was working).

I'm considering whether I should return the soundbar, TV, or both. I'll try factory defaulting the TV before deciding (already reset the soundbar to no avail). Judging by the six pages of people complaining about the ARC problem on the forums for more than a year, I don't think Roku has the means or inclination to fix any of this.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mhill

Thanks for the post.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
mhill
Level 8

A few weeks ago ARC and CEC started working again, so I switched back from optical to HDMI. I know a Roku TV update must have fixed it, because CEC started showing my computer as well when the soundbar reappeared. It's much more convenient to control everything from one remote rather than needing a separate one just for volume.

Volume control delay is now down to a second or less - much better than the three seconds I experienced before.

It's unsettling that my TV may or may not work each day depending on how careful Roku is with their updates. It's like my computer and Microsoft.

0 Kudos
mhill
Level 8

Bummer - ARC and CEC stopped working again. Since neither the Roku TV nor the Roku soundbar show that they installed updates overnight, I have no idea why they stopped working. I found an optical cable and plugged that back in so I have sound through the soundbar.

0 Kudos