Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: DESIGN DEFECT: Roku remote cannot control optically connected sound bar

Jump to solution

Being connected via the optical shouldn't matter with your setup. The Roku tv remote only knows one code set, the one the roku tv responds to, it can't be programmed for anything else. But in your case the Lg soundbar should react to the hisense Roku tv commands, see if there's something in the lg soundbar menu where you can make it respond to lg tv commands instead of its own? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Timkaz
Reel Rookie

Re: Sound bar connected via optical be able to be controlled by Roku smart tv remote

Jump to solution

It’s not just a yes or no answer.  I had a Boston Acoustics sub and satellite speakers that were made to function like a sound bar.  It had the capability to learn the TCL Roku TV remote.  So check if your sound bar has “Learning” capabilities.

0 Kudos
sirsimon77
Reel Rookie

Re: Sound bar connected via optical be able to be controlled by Roku smart tv remote

Jump to solution

This is a bug with the roku tv, when it pairs with a roku remote, it breaks the ability to control a soundbar. I have a roku remote that didn't come with the roku tv, and it could control the soundbar that is connected via optical to my roku tv. But when I paired it to the roku tv, I was no longer able to control the sound bar.

Per the other responses, I'm sure certain sound bars can learn to handle it, but others will just not work until roku fixes it.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Its not a bug if it was purposely made that way. Roku remotes only control tv's volume, its upto the tv itself to control the audio device volume by hdmi-cec. If you're not using hdmi, you will have to get an aftermaket universal that controls roku's, tv's, and soundbar's.

Edmund

0 Kudos
sirsimon77
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku remotes do support sound bars though. If you pair your roku tv remote with a roku streaming stick, then it supports sound bars. It just doesn't work when paired with a roku tv. 

I'm guessing the remote uses a different protocol when communicating with roku tvs vs streaming sticks. I'm hoping it gets fixed in a future update (via allowing optional dual protocol broadcasting from the remote)

0 Kudos
watsonk1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a Samsung TV and it is connected to a Vizio soundbar using optical cable.  I configured the Roku remote to control volume directly to the Vizio soundbar.  By doing this, I will not be able control TV Power using Roku remote.  It is a small sacrifice to take.

0 Kudos
TVtime

Jump to solution

My Roku TV remote one day, maybe a month ago, started working the volume on my Yamaha sound bar. Then yesterday, it no longer controls the volume on the sound bar. We changed nothing both times. Bummer that is stopped working. Is there a way to get it back to work?  Was there some update? 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@TVtime 

Try refreshing the cec devices in the setting of the tv?

Edmund

Timkaz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Since it happened randomly both times, maybe try to set it up/pair remotes on purpose.

0 Kudos
watsonk1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The best configuration with my Samsung TV and Vizio soundbar is as follows:

1) Configure Roko Remote for Samsung TV.  Hence, Ruko ON/OFF power button will work for Samsung TV.

2) Using Vizio Remote's LEARN function, program Roku's Volume Up, Volume Down, and Mute buttons into it.  Thus, Vizio soundbar responds to Roku's three buttons.  

3) Program Vizio soundbar to power off (eco mode) by itself after 5-min of TV signal loss.

Roku Remote - Power On 

a) Samsung TV power on.

b) Vizio soundbar remains Off.  However, by pressing the Volume Up button on Roku Remote, it will power up VIZIO soundbar.

c) Vizio soundbar responds to Roku's Volume Up, Volume Down, and Mute buttons.

Roku Remote - Power Off

a) Samsung TV power off.

b) Vizio soundbar power off after 5-min (econ mode configuration in Vizio soundbar).

With Comcast Xfinity Remote, I have no problem programming it to control both Samsung TV and Vizio soundbar at the same time; as long as the soundbar is from a major brand such as Samsung, LG, and Vizio.  Power and volume work seamlessly using Xfinity Remote to control X1 box.