Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gravano
Reel Rookie

Re: Sound Distorted TCL TV

Jump to solution

I don't see leveling or night mode. I see high, medium, and low on one setting option. On the other, speech, music, normal, etc. I am using the * button. I have tried unplugging and plugging back in and that doesn't work either. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I've read people say the 9.4 update (or a prior one) removed "leveling." For me,[1] it is in the * settings menu when watching a tv input. There are two audio menu entries. One is sound mode. The other is volume mode. Leveling (for me[1]) is in volume mode.

So, you may not have that option. Either way, I think the goal is to have sound mode = "normal." And, volume mode = "off." You don't want any processing/overhead. Just straight audio.

Something else you could try:

Clear the cache (fixes random reboots)
Hit HOME 5 times.
UP once.
REWIND twice.
FAST FORWARD twice. (Clears cache & tv reboots itself. Be patient. It takes 2-3 minutes for the tv to go black, and come back on)

There are people who have said this fixes a problem when other things don't. Nobody knows what it does (but Roku has gone the extra mile to assure us there is no cache, as if that's the important thing to focus on). But, I've seen people say it fixed a problem after other self-help "try this" advice didn't. It wouldn't hurt to try it. Just be patient. You might feel like your tv locked up. Resist the urge to intervene.

Another thing you could try: home>settings>system>advanced>factory reset. I think there's also some audio/video reset in there. You could try that. But, if that didn't do anything either, I would do the factory reset, but during the setup tell it you'll connect to the internet later. This brings the tv up with a minimal'ish software. To me, it looks older. The antenna tv interface works like it used to before 9.4. But, admittedly, this doesn't seem to fix other 9.4-induced problems. So, I don't know.

The idea here is: if you can watch something through HDMI (a game, a streaming device) or antenna tv, and see that the audio works ok, then go to home>settings>networks to create your connection. Then go to settings>system>system update to force it to check for an update. If the audio goes bad again, that might say something. (I don't know what you could do to fix it. Just that you could factory reset again, and stay disconnected from the internet, and stream through HDMI. At least get more use out of your tv this way.). You might explore that option.

[1] I factory reset my tvs, and didn't connect to the internet. That returned the "leveling" option to "volume mode." (Or, perhaps returned the volume mode to the menu list. I don't recall how it was before "cutting the cord 2.0" with Roku.). Some people want leveling back. Cutting the cord would be a way to do it. In your case, this doesn't apply to you.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Gravano
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I got it to work again.

Mills-1973
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

On my remote I push the * key the menu pulls up on my TV go down to volume mode about the 7 th thing down on the list and mine was on leveling mode I switch mine to off it started working but mine does it once and a while sometimes the words are ahead of the person mouth on the TV I go back into volume mode and select a different mode for a min and it starts to work again for a few weeks mine done it 3 times last month 

Brisofleeduy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had the same problem with my 75 inch 8 series. The only way to fix it is to unplug and plug the tv back. After almost six months of troubleshooting and parts replacement by tcl the sound problem still intermittently occured . I can not settle with unplug and plug solution so I demanded a replacement . It was replaced last week . So  far no issues will keep monitoring. 

0 Kudos
gaiden9
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Never could fix mine. Ended up getting a sound bar and that worked. Just bought a new tv for another room and went with an LG. Never again getting a TCL w/Roku. I think the issue is Roku but TCL should figure it out since it's their tv. They have lost my $2000 recent tv purchase and future business. 

0 Kudos
Brisofleeduy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@gaiden9 : You are right the new replacement TV is now doing the same sound distortion problem so frustrating! I contacted their local technician and he said to just ask for a refund from TCL.

0 Kudos
jsrakesh

Jump to solution

This one worked liked a champ for me

go to settings >> power options >> select restart 

TV restarts all its components and resets .

After doing this I don’t hear any distortions in audio.

0 Kudos
Mistered

Jump to solution

Mine was doing this and I fixed it (with the help of the service tech). You unplug the TV and press and hold the power button in the TV (mine was hidden in the middle on the back of the YV) for 30 seconds. Plugged it back in and solids good as new. The sound issues were caused by a buildup of static in the TV. 

0 Kudos
Jgrote186
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've tried every suggestion in this thread. Nothing removes the distortion through the head jack port which I use as an output to a stereo system. I even replaced the main board with no difference. Completely frustrated. 

0 Kudos