Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eeschultz
Channel Surfer

Sony DVD Won't Work with Roku TV

Jump to solution

I have two RCA Roku TVs. I tried connecting a new-out-of-the-box Sony DVPSR210p DVD player to each of them, using both the HDMI and the Aux cords. I tried each HDMI port and made sure I was using the correct connection in Settings. I've made sure the DVD player was turned on.

No matter what I try, I get the "No signal" response. Are these items just incompatible? Is there something else I can try?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eeschultz
Channel Surfer

Re: Sony DVD Won't Work with Roku TV

Jump to solution

Tivoburkee, I love you!! I've been researching and asking questions for literally months, and no one except you was able to tell me that I needed a player w/HDMI output. I bought one for $45 on Amazon, plugged it in, and bam, I'm watching a DVD. If I had listened to the manufacturer, I would destroyed and recycled a perfectly working TV for no reason.

Anyone reading this, if you find that you need a new DVD player that's compatible with your smart TV, try this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RYV4JB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seriously, Tivoburkee, you rule. Thank you.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
eeschultz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Still looking for a solution. I tried a soft reset but am getting the same message. When I tried RCA tech support, their response was based on a non-Roku TV and didn't make sense.

Please help.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@eeschultz 

Thanks for the post.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can contact RCA here: https://www.rca.com/us_en/television-4-us-en/customer-support-396-us-en or at 1-800-968-9853.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
eeschultz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm beyond frustrated. I went to the manufacturer and explain the issue and that it happens with two Roku TVs. They had me fill out all this information, take a bunch of pictures, email them, and wait.

Finally they come back and tell me that they'll process it as a claim, but they won't tell me whether they're replacing the TV or refunding the price until I destroy the unit and email them pictures/video of the destroyed TV.

I don't want another of this exact same model; if I were to replace it, I'd buy one with the DVD player built in. The only option I can think of is to buy a different DVD player and see if that behaves any differently, but that's more $$ out the door with no reason to think that will work. Neither my DVD player nor my laptop registers as on/detectable to either RCA Roku TV, and all I can get are these vague promises that don't go into effect until after I literally chop off the wire, peel off the stickers, and smash the front and back with a hammer. Oh, and I have to pay for having the unit recycled myself.

It shouldn't be this hard to get a DVD player to work with a TV. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

According to this the sony dvd doesn't have a hdmi output:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVPSR210P-DVD-Player/dp/B007F9XHBI/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=DVPSR210...

If you're using the RCA cables, only the Yellow for video, red & white for audio, not the Red, Green, and Blue component outputs are used. 

So before you replace the tv, get a dvd player with hdmi output. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
eeschultz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Tivoburkee, I love you!! I've been researching and asking questions for literally months, and no one except you was able to tell me that I needed a player w/HDMI output. I bought one for $45 on Amazon, plugged it in, and bam, I'm watching a DVD. If I had listened to the manufacturer, I would destroyed and recycled a perfectly working TV for no reason.

Anyone reading this, if you find that you need a new DVD player that's compatible with your smart TV, try this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RYV4JB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seriously, Tivoburkee, you rule. Thank you.

edsajdak

Jump to solution

so you're saying a DVD without HDMI will not work? Mine only has 3 RCA plugs.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

No, just that testing the hdmi inputs for a signal arriving via rca cable isn't going to work. I never got back to this thread, I was just pointing out the sony didn't have hdmi output. Yes, I would have had the OP check the AV input for the dvd signal. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
eeschultz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I tried both HDMI and AV on my dvd player, and neither worked. I wasn't able to figure out why. If you already have a non-HDMI dvd player, I'd recommend giving it a try, but if it doesn't work and you don't mind replacing it, the HDMI-enabled player hopefully will do the trick.

Re: Sony DVD player doesn’t work with Roku TV

Jump to solution

My TCL Roku TV does not have AV outlets, just HDMI. My Sony DVD player does not have HDMI, just AV cord plug ins. I went to Amazon and found a cord that has one side HDMI and one side AV, it still does not work. I tried all 4 of my HDMI ports and switched around the AV cords on the DVD player, it just won’t work. I may have to donate my DVD player and purchase a newer one. So sad. #Roku #TCLRoku #Sony #SonyDVD #AVtoHDMI

0 Kudos