Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
optikhog
Level 10

Something goofy with Amazon Prime Video and TCL Roku TVs

I've spent quite a bit of time on this issue with Amazon and the issue appears to be isolated to our Roku TV's - we have a 32" and a 28" Roku TV in different parts of the house and this happens on both.  In a nutshell, what is happening is that when I play back specific videos via Amazon Prime Video, I get "A Problem Occurred" and the video will not play.  Again, this is on very specific videos ("Everybody Loves Raymond" and "Mike & Molly" episodes being some examples) and is reproducible.  The same videos play without issue on both our Roku Stick and Roku Stick+, as well as a Roku 3 I dug out of storage to test with.  I tried both wired and wireless connectivity as well as rebooting all network equipment and checking DNS settings, etc.

Per my work with Amazon, I have reset the 32" Roku TV unit but after setting up again the issue remains.  Note that these same videos played on the Roku TV units prior to the latest 9.x release to those units.  All units mentioned are on the latest firmware.

Ultimately, after much escalation up the Amazon support chain, since the issue appears to be isolated to the Roku TV units, I was sent back here for help.

I am glad to offer more details upon request.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Something goofy with Amazon Prime Video and TCL Roku TVs

If you can reproduce it on specific videos, post the season and episode numbers so those of us can try it out.

I haven't had any issues with Prime Video on my TCL units.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the note here. This isn't something we've heard of, but I'd be happy to help gather some additional details from you and pass them along to our team to take a closer look. 

Please send me a private message with your Rokiu account email address, the serial number of your Roku TVs from Settings>System>About, along with specific details about each piece of content that you observe an issue with. Please include exactly where/how you access the content inside the Amazon Prime Video channel, and the text of any error messages you see displaying on screen. 

Also, please attempt to play an affected content title once more, and when you receive an error message, press the following sequence on your Roku TV remote to generate an issue report tracker ID: Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly. Including this ID in your message will also be very helpful when investigating. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Rivkaleah
Level 7

I'm also having an issue with Amazon Prime videos on my Roku.  It just started last night. I got some kind of an error message and am trying to figure out how to contact Amazon Prime for help.
0 Kudos
optikhog
Level 10

After a tremendous amount of effort in complaining and sitting on the phone with Amazon techs, this issue was apparently related to the Roku app on Roku TVs specifically sometimes reporting low bandwidth. I was able to get this moved up the chain far enough that they reduced the trap and now everything is working.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing that update. I'm glad they were able to sort things out for you. 

To help add a little more context, that type of error message dialogue inside the Amazon Prime Video channel is potentially generated from the channel's own internal connection to video content servers, and not by your device's own network connection to your home network. It you were seeing that type of error message inside the channel, it would likely be caused by the channel's (app's) connection to the content delivery network that they are using to deliver streaming content to the channel (app) on your device. If this were the case, that is something that only the channel provider could help address or resolve within the systems being used in conjunction with their channel on your device. 

Please keep us posted if there's anything else we can assist with. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos