Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morgan126
Channel Surfer

Someone's controlling my TV!!

Hey guys! So, I'm currently living in a college dorm. I bought my TV about almost two months ago and I'm having this issue with it where it appears someone is controlling it. It is a TCL Roku TV. I have a video of this happening a few weeks ago, but I can't attach it. What the video is showing is the TV scrolling through different inputs, which is in a menu that I can't even figure out how to get to! I show myself holding the remote, and it's clear that I'm not using any buttons. I am also not using the Roku Remote app since I am using my phone to record. There isn't another person in my room, but there are about 200 students on the same WIFI and I'm not allowed to get my own router. I've moved the TV all around the room and it's still happening. I want to do anything I can to not return this TV because I love the TV itself, but I am on my last straw. Is there anyone who knows how to fix this problem? If so please help me! TIA!

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Someone's controlling my TV!!

At some time you must have control of the tv, when you do go into settings> system> advanced system settings> control by mobile> network access> disable

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
morgan126
Channel Surfer

Yeah, that's the problem. I disabled access to the TV by a mobile device and it was still happening. I have virtually no control of my TV anymore.

ItzJustMeee
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue on my Sharp Roku TV. If anyone could help it'd be really appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
morgan126
Channel Surfer

Are you getting a panel on the side that is scrolling through inputs? 

ItzJustMeee
Reel Rookie

No but my channels do pause/rewind/fast forward without me even moving 

0 Kudos
Kabul
Reel Rookie

There is a button on the side above the outputs that will reset the TV. If that doesn't work, go to Home, Settings, System, Advanced System Settings, Factory Reset, Scroll right then down one to Factory Reset Everything. 

If that doesn't work, come back on here and let me know

0 Kudos

i am having the same exact problem, i have tried factory reset and it’s not working at all. 

0 Kudos
morgan126
Channel Surfer

What should I get?

Hi all! I am replacing my TV with with a built in Roku payer. I am living in a college dorm and someone is able to control my tv. Would getting a stick and a new tv be beneficial or would I still be running into the same issue?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What should I get?

You'd be running into the same situation.  Disable "Control by mobile apps" in Settings->System->Advanced system settings.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos