Jump to solution

I believe they said it is 4.1 and not 5.1.... :-(

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DBL7S
Level 8

Re: Software update - Roku Smart Soundbar & Wireless Surround Speakers

Jump to solution

I asked a question about the update directly to Roku. They said "The update is available...." "and it was 4.1"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
akakar4858
Level 8

Jump to solution

That is correct it is 4.1. 
- Soundbar is 2.0 (LT, RT Stereo)

- TV Wireless Speakers (LS, RS) 

- Subwoofer (LFE) 

Which that arrangement mimics Surround the best it can but isn’t truly surround (L, R, C, LFE, LS, RS). 

I hope Roku release a new Soundbar that’s 3.0 (L, R, C). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AnkMe
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yeah I will also wait for more audio products to come from roku’s partners. This tech crunch article below from 6-Jan-2020 says

”Roku today announced a new “Roku TV Ready” program that will allow consumer electronics companies to label themselves as such so consumers will know the products have been tested and certified to work with Roku TV. That means the devices will be easy to set up, and will include on-screen access to sound setting and volume control with one remote.

The first partners under the new program are TCL North America and Sound United — the parent company to Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology and Classé. These companies will feature “Roku TV Ready” products for select brands later this year.”

until then I will live with my wireless speakers and sub. Will skip the sound bar. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cwawro
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yeah you're definitely right! It's only 4.1, which is fine, but I think I've found the biggest problem:

Right now, whenever there's content that has the ability to pass a 5.1 signal, the back wireless speakers don't pass through any audio and it's all being done with the Soundbar. When it's a stereo signal, all of the speakers are sounding great with the way Roku is mimicking surround sound! But as of right now, it's struggling with content that has a 5.1 signal to the point where the wireless speakers aren't doing anything.

Hopefully they can fix that in the future!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
akakar4858
Level 8

Jump to solution

So I’m actually getting the exact opposite from everyone else on this forum. Where watching something that’s sending out true 5.1 on Disney+, YouTube, Netflix.... I’m getting just that true 5.1. And while watching normal cable programming like the news I’m getting 2.0 stereo. Which this is normal. Here are my findings in settings: 

Movies & TV= Convert Stereo to 5.1  

Music= Stereo on all speakers so RT & LT on all speakers, meaning dialogue and sound on all. 

My settings: 

Sound Mode: Normal (on non-movies) Bass Boost on movies/sports 

Speech clarity: Low for everything 

Volume Mode: Leveling 

Expanded Steele: Movies & TV for everything 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mcgooze
Level 8

Jump to solution

@cwawro wrote:

Right now, whenever there's content that has the ability to pass a 5.1 signal, the back wireless speakers don't pass through any audio and it's all being done with the Soundbar. When it's a stereo signal, all of the speakers are sounding great with the way Roku is mimicking surround sound! But as of right now, it's struggling with content that has a 5.1 signal to the point where the wireless speakers aren't doing anything.

I just went back & forth between a YouTube video (concert) in stereo and a Netflix show in 5.1. The YouTube video sounds great in stereo, especially with the expanded stereo setting set to music. For the Netflix show in 5.1, I could hear the surround speakers if I stood right by them and they did appear to be playing an actual surround mix. The problem I'm having is that they're not even closer to loud enough. They need to be at least twice as loud as they are to be effective. I can't seem to find any control, in software or hardware that allows me to alter the volume of the surround speakers. If I'm missing something, someone please chime in!

Highlighted
AnkMe
Level 8

Jump to solution

You are not missing anything. This is exactly my experience as well. Overall I feel such a waste of good wireless speakers in the surround setting. With very low volume from surround speakers and okay okay sound quality of sound bar, I like the 2.1 setup of just the wireless speakers and sub better than the surround option after adding the sound bar. I’m going to return the sound bar which I bought only for the surround option. I like my old 2.1 setup better. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
akakar4858
Level 8

Jump to solution

I wish there was a way to turn up the volume on the rear speakers. For people who have the TV wireless speakers why not enable this through an update and have the tabletop remote control the volume of the rear speakers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cwawro
Level 8

Jump to solution

Since this was marked as solved, should we move this discussion where Roku will be more likely to see it?