Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User22
Channel Surfer

Sharp TV in boot loop and need 5 digit Roku model number

I have a Sharp LC-58Q7330U that randomly got stuck in a boot loop. Reset button doesn’t do a thing. Reddit board suggests I do a reset via usb drive. I can’t download any software without a ‘ROKU’ model number (which I can’t get because the tv is in a boot loop.) I don’t know why my serial number won’t suffice  

Can someone tell me what my 5 digit Roku model number is, or provide any advice of how to get out of a boot loop?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Sharp TV in boot loop and need 5 digit Roku model number

I'm sorry this has happened to your tv. Searching the forum for your tv model number (the real number, not Roku's private list they won't share with anyone) produces a couple other recent threads, one of which sounded like the same problem. (No reply from Roku, which you should notice.).

@TacoTaco said they were able to deduce that it was a Roku TV model 7234X. Maybe taco can reply here whether they were able to fix their problem.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
User22
Channel Surfer

Thank you for pointing me to that thread. 

@Visitor45763 wrote:

I'm sorry this has happened to your tv. Searching the forum for your tv model number (the real number, not Roku's private list they won't share with anyone) produces a couple other recent threads, one of which sounded like the same problem. (No reply from Roku, which you should notice.).

@TacoTaco said they were able to deduce that it was a Roku TV model 7234X. Maybe taco can reply here whether they were able to fix their problem.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Hopefully taco got theirs going. If not, it sounds strange the way you both had the same problem at the same time. Roku's software updates are breaking tvs. There's a green-screen thread, a black screen, a recovery loop. There's no formal bug tracking, so this more like an oral tradition. 

Those customers are not getting helped at all. In fact, Roku kept pushing the update even though it was clear that tvs were being broken. I hope you don't find yourself in that category (acceptable collateral damage, as Roku views us).

Hopefully you'll work it out. It could be a hardware error. It's just strange that both of you had it at the same time. That sounds more like the other threads. If it was a hardware failure, there are videos on youtube showing how to diagnose the failed board, replace boards, etc. Shop Jimmy sells replacement boards (even the entire set for a more shotgun approach to it. That costs about $40-$80 USD depending on the tv. If you were the only person having the problem, that might make sense. But, if it was broken by Roku's untested updates, then it could be a hardware incompatibility which you'd just replace and find yourself still incompatable.

This is happening (a lot) more on TCL tvs. Roku blames TCL (even though it happened to people due to a Roku-pushed update). My theory is that TCL (maybe all tv makers -- but TCL sells more of these tvs, so we hear about it more) have revisions of boards, chipsets. Maybe they contract the manufacturing of motherboards, tcon boards in lots of thousands, to the lowest bidder. Who knows? But, something like that seems to be happening. There's some kind of underestimation of what the tv makers think Roku is testing, or capable of supporting. (And, what Roku thinks tv makers will consider "boundaries" of hardware specs. Maybe nobody even thought about this, and it's all starting to show.).

Anyway, when a TCL Roku customer is still under warranty, TCL can fix these things. They must know what the problem is (the Rev-B board doesn't work) and replace it with another board. But, when a TCL Roku customer is out of warranty, then they don't know which rev works. They might buy the same rev from ShopJimmy. Roku's no help. They just blame everything on the tv makers. You'd think they'd have a better working relationship and help sort out what the problem is. But, Roku acts like there is no problem (and waits for the affected people to leave. Then when anyone brings it up, "oh, that was so long ago. We're doing great things now! (ignore all those threads)."

Anyway, I don't want to discourage you. Hopefully you'll have a better outcome. But, I'm just saying, you could be one of the "disappeared." Brace yourself for it. Browse through 2-3 forum pages to see the lack of help Roku is. Click on Roku Danny & Mary's profiles to see their recent posting history. That's what awaits. Brace yourself.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
TacoTaco
Reel Rookie

Unfortunately the firmware didn't help my TV. Tried replacing the system board as well without success either. I'm down to either replacing the power board or tossing it in a dumpster at this point.

User22
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response. Your words make sense. It’s funny because I used to keep this tv offline to prevent software updates, since it doesn’t matter to me and I’m firmly planted in the fire stick/Echo ecosystem. But when I found out Roku OS had AirPlay support, I hooked it back to the network . It’s almost like Roku knew how to get me connected again, enticing me with AirPlay. That’s what I get lol.  Roku’s lack of support and testing is very disappointing. 

User22
Channel Surfer

@TacoTaco wrote:

Unfortunately the firmware didn't help my TV. Tried replacing the system board as well without success either. I'm down to either replacing the power board or tossing it in a dumpster at this point.

Sorry to hear that. But thanks for sharing. I do not have high hopes of this display working again. 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@User22 wrote: when I found out Roku OS had AirPlay support, I hooked it back to the network.

That's ironic. One of your frustrations was Roku's firewalled model numbers which can't be cross-referenced to the model number you speak in. This is an example (a sign) of how Roku's partnership with tv makers is. Roku has isolated itself from the model numbers it's licensed to operate upon. It's isolated itself the customers who buy those tvs. When you have a problem, the canned reply here is "talk to the tv maker (press 9 to repeat these options)." It's completely "circle the wagons" (against the customer & tv makers).

There is a 7-page thread about how Airplay isn't working. (That thread has been marked solved, even though nobody's problem was fixed.). The first post of the thread wasn't about Airplay not working. It was just someone wanting to buy a Roku TV with Airplay support. They wanted to know how they could know which tvs have it. 

They got a non-response. They were given the 4-5 firewalled Roku model numbers that mean nothing to anyone outside Roku. When this was pointed out, there was no reply. (Roku didn't answer their question, and acted like it didn't happen.).

You really get the impression the tv makers are the problem, customers are the problem. Everyone's the problem... except Roku. They exist in that kind of world. Their own model numbers. Customers don't mean anything. You get jammed up in a condition where you need Roku's internal model number, and there's no way to get there from your consumer/tv-maker model number. Roku's oblivious to that, or what it looks like to customers. They even had a customer waving dollar bills in the air (like a staged Ginsu Knife infomercial), and they blew him off(!)

It's unbelievable. If someone told me about all this, I wouldn't believe it. I'd think they have an ax to grind; embellishing for some reason. But, it's one thing after another. They have no shame. It's not like "oops." They keep doing it.

On this same topic (Roku's firewall against customers/partners), there's another thread where an app-developer (it sounded like) had access to a report showing viewers of their app, and the model of tv used. It showed Roku's internal (the rest of the world doesn't exist) model numbers. The developer wanted to know how to translate that into the langue everyone else speaks (model numbers that people are buying at the store; which real models are more popular for their app.).

No response.

That's how Roku views customers & partners. There's a Netflix problem that's existed for a year (I don't know, there's no formal bug tracking, so you do the best you can from memory). Roku won't pick up the phone and talk to its partner. Netflix is plastered all over the boxes the tvs come in, and it's on the remote with it's own highlighted button. But, it has a serious problem for a year? Not a problem for Roku.

I'm just describing the tip of the iceberg. It's literally one thing after another. The same clear message over and over again (the customer doesn't matter.). It's amazing. I wouldn't believe it if I weren't seeing it with my own eyes. 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Someone with a Hisense tv reported the same problem (it sounds like). I referred them to this thread, and another one about TCL tvs doing it. That thread has someone saying they fixed the problem by disconnecting the power button module (bottom/center of the TCL's bezel, behind the white light. It's the module with the middle power-on button, and a navigation button on each side). Apparently that was stuck or sending the power on/off signal repeatedly without being touched.

That might be something you and @TacoTaco might want to try. I'm not sure if you guys are stuck in a recovery loop. Or, if it's the power on/off loop (logo, then off). If it's the latter, that power button might be it. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that last night. But, if it worked for anyone, better late than never.

User22
Channel Surfer

@Visitor45763 wrote:

Someone with a Hisense tv reported the same problem (it sounds like). I referred them to this thread, and another one about TCL tvs doing it. That thread has someone saying they fixed the problem by disconnecting the power button module (bottom/center of the TCL's bezel, behind the white light. It's the module with the middle power-on button, and a navigation button on each side). Apparently that was stuck or sending the power on/off signal repeatedly without being touched.

This is something I’ll certainly look into and tinker with.

I already said screw it and bought another TV (a Sammy, because lesson learned). I appreciate you and how you totally “red pilled” me in terms of Roku QC and customer support.