Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kern417
Level 7

Sharp RokuTV Losing Internet/Crashing

I have a Roku 2 box that I got in 2017 when we cut the cord and signed up for Sling, and it worked very well. We decided to upgrade, so we moved the Roku 2 to our bedroom and bought a Sharp RokuTV for the Family Room instead. This TV has had a lot of issues, none of which we had or have with the Roku 2.

The most common is that it will suddenly lose internet connection while streaming. The service will freeze, the red indicator light will begin flashing, and then an error will come up on the screen. If I go back to the home screen, it says "Not connected." Nothing I do can find our wireless network (or any for that matter) without going to settings and doing a system restart. Then it will work again for a while. This happens multiple times a day.

Also, it will crash from time to time and restart on it's own. Usually the remote is nonresponsive for a few minutes before it crashes. This happens daily as well.

Things that we have tried:
1. Resetting the router (ISP Provided)
2. Buying a new router with MU-MIMO support since i thought the one we had was being overloaded
3. Buying a Firestick to stream though an HDMI input - it still loses internet connection

TV Model:  LC-50LB481U
Software: 8.2.0 build 4167-13
Serial: 2N005T426316
Primary streaming channels: Sling, Netflix, YouTube
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Sharp RokuTV Losing Internet/Crashing

"kern417" wrote:
3. Buying a Firestick to stream though an HDMI input - it still loses internet connection

I think this might be key.

Your Roku TV and Amazon Fire Stick — unrelated products — both losing connectivity at that spot in your location.

Have you tried the Roku 2 connected to your TV? If not, do that as s test. Does it lose connectivity?

If so, something is interfering with WiFi signal there. Try a different channel on your router. If you’re using 2.4 GHz band, you’re likely on 6, 11, or 1. Change to one of the other of those.

Why would something start interfering at the same time you hit a new TV? Coincidence.

Let us know how that goes.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
kern417
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:

I think this might be key.

Your Roku TV and Amazon Fire Stick — unrelated products — both losing connectivity at that spot in your location.

Have you tried the Roku 2 connected to your TV? If not, do that as s test. Does it lose connectivity?

If so, something is interfering with WiFi signal there. Try a different channel on your router. If you’re using 2.4 GHz band, you’re likely on 6, 11, or 1. Change to one of the other of those.

Why would something start interfering at the same time you hit a new TV? Coincidence.

Let us know how that goes.

Good point, i havent tried that yet. I will try today and see. We also have a Chromecast, but i figured it wasnt worthwhile since it doesn't deliver content in the same way that the Roku/Firestick do so not really an apple to apples comparison.

There is a wall between the router and tv but otherwise it is the closest device to the router. The bedroom is up a level and opposite end of the house. I have tried a few apps to help determine the channel to use, but it seems like every time i change, the new channel shows that it now has the most traffic. I'll try bumping it around, but if you have any recommendations that would be appreciated. We also have a 5ghz band i tried but didn't seem to fix the issue.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kern417

Thanks for the note. Changing the wireless channel to reduce any possible interference would be a good first step. The 5GHz band tends to experience less of this type of issue, due the broader number of channels available for your router to select from. Also, try checking for any available system updates from Settings>System>System update>Check now. 

I would also recommend reaching out to your TV manufacturer for additional support. You can contact Sharp support directly here: http://www.sharpusa.com/Support.aspx

Keep us posted with what you discover from there and we'll see what else we can suggest to help. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
kern417
Level 7

Thanks. I connected my Roku 2 and had the same resets. So I guess it is some sort of interference in that corner of the house. It's against an outer wall over a fireplace, so I can't think of what it could be besides the neighbors. But it's rather strange that after it disconnects, it can't see any wireless network. That was why I initially thought it was an issue with the built in wireless hardware of the TV.

I tried reaching out to Sharp but didn't get far, and this forum seemed like an easy way to get some help in troubleshooting. I'll try again though in case something has changed.

The next steps are to play with the wireless channels. Connecting to my router's 5G network didn't appear to fix the issue over the weekend, but the channel was on Auto. I'll play with some static channel settings over the next few days and see how far I get.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"kern417" wrote:
It's against an outer wall over a fireplace, so I can't think of what it could be besides the neighbors.

Use the fireplace much?

Try to download a wifi app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US to your phone and monitor how busy that corner is and adjust your wifi band from there. I am sure that there is a similar app for iphone.
0 Kudos