Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marlo15
Level 7

Sharp Roku Tv remote to soundbar?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to connect this remote to my Roku soundbar? The remote doesn’t have a pair button, but it’s the only remote I found that has the infamous DtvNOW button which I desperately need as I still have *AT&TvNow* and can’t be downloaded on my soundbar since it’s no longer available. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Sharp Roku Tv remote to soundbar?

Jump to solution

@Marlo15  Thanks for the note. As previously mentioned, Roku TV remotes are not compatible with Roku Streaming Player devices. You would need to use the remote that was included with your Roku Smart Soundbar to control that device. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Sorry but no. Roku soundbars either use wifi remote or the standard Roku IR remote, which is a different IR signal then what Roku Tv's use. You could look on ebay for rc-al2 wifi remote that has a Directv Now key like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-New-Original-RC-AL2-For-ROKU-TV-Streaming-Box-Voice-Remote-Control-3600-...

Only problem is it lacks a mute key. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Marlo15  Thanks for the note. As previously mentioned, Roku TV remotes are not compatible with Roku Streaming Player devices. You would need to use the remote that was included with your Roku Smart Soundbar to control that device. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Ericacrow16
Level 7

My ruku tv keeps shutting off

Jump to solution

My 50” ruku tv keeps shutting off by its self while we are watching tv and we have done a factory reset and changed batteries to the remote that came with the tv and it’s still doing the same thing can you help on this cause I’m to the point where I just want to trash it and go buy a new tv it’s only 5 months old

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: My ruku tv keeps shutting off

Jump to solution

@Ericacrow16 

Thanks for the note. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

For a list of Roku TV manufacturer's contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
wpeters
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner,

I previously was using the Roku remote for controlling both audio (Vizio soundbar setup) and tv functions with an optical audio connection.

I recently upgraded for the TCL Roku 55 inch QLED. I have been able to get sound working through the sound bar but have not been able to control it.

Something doesn’t quite add up because I can use my previous Sharp Roku remote to control my Vizio soundbar even with the sharp TV no longer connected. While I have had no such luck with the new remote compatible with my TCL TV.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Did the vizio soundbar have a learning feature where you can teach any IR remote to it from then on respond to that remote? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=vizio+soundbar+learning+mode&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS885US885&oq=vizio+sound...

Edmund

0 Kudos
wpeters
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi Edmund thank you for your quick response. There is not any learning feature possible with my model of Visio sound bar: 

https://cdn.vizio.com/misc/QuickStartGuides/kb/sb3621ne8qsg.pdf

Perhaps my old sharp roku remote out of the box sends signal at the correct frequency for the soundbar whereas the new TCL one doesn’t. Do you think there is a TCL replacement remote I could get that will send signal at this frequency? The main goal is getting back down to one remote the same as my previous set up.

Thank you in advance,

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

No roku remote will control the vizio soundbar directly. I would go with One-For-All urc-7935 Streamer universal remote. It is one device remote that can control three different devices at once, tv, streamer, and soundbar. Different area of the remote are for different devices. Works great with Roku tv's. Here's photo next to roku tv remote:P1010420 (800x600).jpg

You can purchase at walmart or open box on ebay. It also a learning remote. That will get you to one remote solution. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
wpeters
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the recommendation Edmund - I have ordered the remote and hopefully this resolves the compatibility issue.

Just for your information I am In fact controlling my Vizio soundbar directly with my old sharp Roku tv remote with my sharp tv unplugged in storage under neath my bed so I can assure there is no command being sent via optical audio to soundbar. I can share a video if it would be helpful for your technical knowledge base that this does in fact work. Maybe it’s just certain brand of older remotes.

Thank you,

Will

0 Kudos