Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobfDC
Reel Rookie

Sharp Roku TV will not let me go through setup process

Somebody gave me a Sharp (HiSense) Roku TV (LC500LBU591U) with no sound and no picture. I replaced the main board with a HiSense component (RGAG7.820.7350/ROH) and bought a Roku Voice remote. Now I get a picture (startup screen asking what language to use). The remote will control mute and volume (or so the screen says), but will not let me go through the setup process. An older Roku remote, the Roku mobile controller, and a third-party cellphone all don't work at all. I've got good 2.4 WiFi in the room, although I know the remote is IR, but maybe the Roku TV is unable to get an update. A little tabletop Roku has always worked on a different set in that same location. I've tried pushing what I think is the reset button in among the inputs and the unplug-take out the remote batteries- plug in -put in the batteries routine many times.

Is it time to give up and try to get my money back on the main board and remote?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sharp Roku TV will not let me go through setup process

@RobfDC, you should have started a new topic.  This one is about the Roku 3, not a Roku TV.

The voice remote is Wi-Fi direct, but it uses IR to control the power and volume of some non-Roku TVs.  I'm not sure how it controls the power and volume on Roku TVs, but it sounds like it's using IR.  There should be a pairing button in the battery compartment.  Press and hold it until the light comes on or starts flashing.  Make sure you're using new fresh batteries.  Don't trust the ones that came with it.  Remotes from stand-alone Rokus won't work on Roku TVs.  You can find universal IR remotes that can control Roku TVs, but it must explicitly state it supports "Roku TVs".

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Roku tv voice remote model rc-al5 would pair to the Roku 3 but the volume and tv power keys would be useless. A rc-al5 remote not actually paired to a Roku tv would control the Roku tv volume and power by IR, if it were paired to a Roku tv then it would control it by wifi. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RobfDC
Reel Rookie

Good, but not sufficient answer. How do I get the new Roku Voice to use the WiFi? I get the blinking blue button on the TV and a blinking blue light next to the batteries, but they never seem to connect. Maybe I'm not holding down the Setup button long enough?

Thanks

0 Kudos