Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Setting up an Onn Roku Smart Soundbar without a TV?

Roku Smart Soundbar  

Hi, I just hastily purchased a Roku Smart Soundbar and am trying to set it up. I don't own a TV at all and am trying to use it only for Bluetooth Devices because I use a projector to watch things. Is it possible to set up without a TV? Should I purchase the a Roku app for my computer possibly? I have a HDMI converter and can hook that up, however the optical cord won't plug in anywhere on my Mac Book Air. Is this even possible or should I simply return the speaker tomorrow morning?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Setting up an Onn Roku Smart Soundbar without a TV?

You are going to need to see the menu to set it up, you can't use an app until its set to the same network and password as your cellphone, which you use the included remote while tuned to the soundbar on tv screen. The Arc and optical are for sending audio to the soundbar from the tv, you won't need them if the sound originates in the soundbar and stays there. But to get to menu item where you pair a bluetooth device needs a tv screen to see where you're going. 

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 7

If I can plug the Soundbar into my projector would it be able to project what would normally appear on a TV screen so that I can set it up? My projector is a Viewsonic PA503S and has an HDMI port and an Audio Output port (but it isn't labeled "Digital Audio Output"). Would that work possibly?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Yes, if it's HDMI input, it should, you have everything give it a try.

Edmund
0 Kudos