cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobW
Level 8

SPDIF connection on an older TV to ROKU Soundbar

Jump to solution

I have an older Philips TV whose audio is not the greatest. I would like to add a ROKU soundbar.
The Philips TV only has SPDIF audio. Can a simple SPDIF to optical cable work to the ROKU or any other soundbar?
I received an email from ROKU touting their soundbar and the subject said it would connect to any TV.
Regards,

Rob

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: SPDIF connection on an older TV to ROKU Soundbar

Jump to solution

@RobW 

Thanks for the post.

In order to connect the Roku Smart Soundbar to your TV, you will need to either have a ARC HDMI port in your TV, or a HDMI port and a digital audio output to plug in the optical cord.

For more information on what is required to setup the Roku Soundbar, visit our Support page: How do I set up my Roku® Smart Soundbar?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@RobW 

Thanks for the post.

In order to connect the Roku Smart Soundbar to your TV, you will need to either have a ARC HDMI port in your TV, or a HDMI port and a digital audio output to plug in the optical cord.

For more information on what is required to setup the Roku Soundbar, visit our Support page: How do I set up my Roku® Smart Soundbar?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RobW
Level 8

Jump to solution

The email said and i quote "Any TV". But my Philips TV does not have an hdmi ARC output and only has an SPDIF audio out. It does not have an audio optical out.

So once again my question was can an spdif connection go via a cable to the optical audio input of a sound bar ?

0 Kudos
Tim_Hare
Level 7

Jump to solution

If you have the optical form of SPDIF (Wikipedia says it can be either coaxial or optical cable) then I would think you could plug it into the optical input on the soundbar.  Note that I'm not a Roku person, but I've hooked the output of a Samsung TV to a Vizio soundbar using an optical cable and that worked...

0 Kudos