Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: RokuTV cannot control Raspberry Pi Media Player via CEC

Jump to solution

@etrigan63  I understand your concerns but it seems like you’re way over complicating things just to accommodate guests for your rental property. My cousin rents Out his house in Cape Cod. There is a 65” TV with basic local cable and WiFi. If renters don’t like those choices then they can use there phones or laptops to watch something. I don’t know about you but when I’m on vacation my least concern is what to watch on TV. I’m too busy having fun and exploring things on my vacation. When you stay at a hotel they don’t cater to your needs they just give you a TV with basic channels. I realize you’re trying to be as accommodating to your guest as possible. But I read through all the things you’re trying to do and it’s just way too much. Give your guests the basics and that’s it. Sorry not being a jerk. But a vacation is about fun and enjoyment. Getting away means no TV. Heck I was in Aruba for 6 days. Never watched TV once 

0 Kudos
etrigan63
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am running a luxury cabin rental and certain amenities are expected. There is also the possibility of getting snowed in and not being able to go out. The market in my area is very competitive and you are always on the lookout for a new feature that gives you an edge. I am looking at offline media serving as this edge. My cabin offers a theater experience and I want mine to work when the internet is down and you cannot leave the cabin or stream from the internet. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@etrigan63  That’s what board games are for. My cousins place is a home. Not a cottage or cabin. Sleeps 10-12. 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, outdoor shower, huge deck, grill. Gaming area in the basement. Walk to the beach. $600/night. I understand what your talking about. But I think your going way overboard just to accommodate guests. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I think your own media server makes a lot of sense. But I caution you about using it for commercial purposes. The license to play any media disc you purchase (DVD or Blu Ray) states personal use only. I've heard of PTAs in the past getting notices from Disney about having a "Movie Night" that charged admission because they weren't licensed to show the movie. As long as you're aware, it's unlikely that it would ever be an issue. 

I have a media server in my home, and it's about 95% of our media watching. If the Internet goes down, no problem. I have 1000s of titles to watch. Most are ripped DVDs and Blu Rays, but I do have quite a few movies and TV shows I've recorded off the air. I encourage anyone to consider that for their personal use. I wish you the best of luck doing so with your rentals. I know it's something I would probably do if I were in your shoes. 🙂

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
etrigan63
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am not "charging admission" to play from the media server and the films are ripped backups of discs that I own. I only load movies, not television shows (unless I own the discs - TV shows are tedious to rip). The media server is provided for free and no one is obligated to use it.

As it stands right now, I am going to have to take down my Roku TV and install a regular TV with a Roku Ultra and the dedicated media player for the server and use a universal remote to handle the whole thing.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The charging admission was merely an example. Since you are operating a business, it's a commercial operation. it doesn't matter that the media server isn't an extra charge. I like your idea, and I hope it works well for you. Offering content to watch for your guests would be a valuable perk in my personal opinion. When I travel, I take a Roku Stick with me and can connect to my home server through Plex. It's great to have a selection of things to watch that I am actually interested in. 🙂

Dan

etrigan63
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092  My cousin tells all his renters to bring a Roku, Firestick or a DVD player. But 99% are there to enjoy the beach and restaurants. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

My travel is almost always business related, so I'm not there for the local attractions. I am usually at my visit site for long hours, and the hotel room is all I see. Having my own media to watch is quite valuable to me. 

Dan

Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092  Traveling for business is one thing vacation is another. When one is on vacation the last thing you should be doing is sitting down in front of a TV and watching it. A vacation as a way to get away from everything. But we all have different priorities. If I  go on vacation I don’t even turn the TV on Or barely even use my phone

0 Kudos