Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hsears1
Level 7

RokuTV Help

If this is not the place to ask this, could someone please point me to wherever is? Thanks!

I purchased a new RokuTV TCL 49S403 and on initial start up, it prompts to connect to the internet. After that is successful, it says it needs a software update and will reboot. After reboot, it starts up and does the whole process again. It’s done this several times and i’m not sure what to do because i can’t do anything on the tv unless it’s connected to the internet, which triggers the software update and reboot cycle again. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: RokuTV Help

"hsears1" wrote:
If this is not the place to ask this, could someone please point me to wherever is? Thanks!

I purchased a new RokuTV TCL 49S403 and on initial start up, it prompts to connect to the internet. After that is successful, it says it needs a software update and will reboot. After reboot, it starts up and does the whole process again. It’s done this several times and i’m not sure what to do because i can’t do anything on the tv unless it’s connected to the internet, which triggers the software update and reboot cycle again. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Note that I don't have a Roku TV, and am relying on the user manual for this information.

Have you tried connecting directly to the Internet via Ethernet cable? I understand that model has an Ethernet port just to the left of the HDMI inputs and optical output ports. Of course, if the TV isn't in range of a router to allow for a wired connection, this won't be feasible. But, it might be a useful troubleshooting step.

Apart from that, a factory reset might be in order, in case something happened during the setup that needs to be cleared/reset. The Reset Button should be on the back of the device, above the connections (HDMI, audio out, cable connection, etc). Press and hold for a full 30 seconds. (Note: the "hold for 30 seconds" is recommended for Roku set top devices and Sticks; I can't speak as to whether it's best practice for TVs, but I would suggest it to be sure.)

Hope this offers some relief.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
hsears1
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"hsears1" wrote:

Note that I don't have a Roku TV, and am relying on the user manual for this information.

Have you tried connecting directly to the Internet via Ethernet cable? I understand that model has an Ethernet port just to the left of the HDMI inputs and optical output ports. Of course, if the TV isn't in range of a router to allow for a wired connection, this won't be feasible. But, it might be a useful troubleshooting step.

Apart from that, a factory reset might be in order, in case something happened during the setup that needs to be cleared/reset. The Reset Button should be on the back of the device, above the connections (HDMI, audio out, cable connection, etc). Press and hold for a full 30 seconds. (Note: the "hold for 30 seconds" is recommended for Roku set top devices and Sticks; I can't speak as to whether it's best practice for TVs, but I would suggest it to be sure.)

Hope this offers some relief.

Thanks for your reply. I tried both of those things and unfortunately no success. I spoke with someone at Roku’s Customer Support and they said they thought it was a hardware issue so i’ll see if i can get that sorted out.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"hsears1" wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I tried both of those things and unfortunately no success. I spoke with someone at Roku’s Customer Support and they said they thought it was a hardware issue so i’ll see if i can get that sorted out.

Don't mean to belabor the point, but you did hold it down for a full 30 seconds. Not until something happened on the screen, but until the little second hand on the clock made it half-way around. A full 30. That can't be emphasized enough (well, for STBs, at least; do it to rule out that on TVs).

If so, then yeah, it looks like it might be a hardware thing. Which means the timing couldn't be worse, in relation to the calendar. Hope things get better and the day is a happy one otherwise.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
hsears1
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"hsears1" wrote:

Don't mean to belabor the point, but you did hold it down for a full 30 seconds. Not until something happened on the screen, but until the little second hand on the clock made it half-way around. A full 30. That can't be emphasized enough (well, for STBs, at least; do it to rule out that on TVs).

If so, then yeah, it looks like it might be a hardware thing. Which means the timing couldn't be worse, in relation to the calendar. Hope things get better and the day is a happy one otherwise.

I did but i’ll try that one more time to be sure. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Just as another data point, my Insignia Roku TV got stuck in the setup loop like that, and mine doesn't have an Ethernet port. I took and back and exchanged it, and the replacement has worked fine for close to two years now. My guess is a bad unit.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
hsears1
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Just as another data point, my Insignia Roku TV got stuck in the setup loop like that, and mine doesn't have an Ethernet port. I took and back and exchanged it, and the replacement has worked fine for close to two years now. My guess is a bad unit.

Yeah that’s what i’m thinking. Thanks!
0 Kudos