Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
concord704
Channel Surfer

RokuTV Guide - Enable/Disable Selected Streaming Channels Request

Adding all the streaming channels to the guide makes it slow, it would be nice if I was able to select the streaming channels I want in the guide, just like OTA chanels.

Roku, please look into this.   Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: RokuTV Guide - Enable/Disable Selected Streaming Channels Request

FWIW: everyone has asked for hiding individual streaming channels. There's some older threads about it. Roku hasn't responded other than "I'll pass it along."

It's been theorized that the channels come from Pluto, and the carriage terms prohibit Roku from hiding any. But, my Amazon Firestick Lite has Pluto. That app has the feature to hide channels, and maintain a list of "favorites" (something Roku removed from antenna tv, and everyone's complained about, and Roku's ignoring that too.).

My theory: Antenna TV watchers are dead weight to Roku. Roku doesn't get any revenue sharing. No "buying" opportunities. (Roku gets our viewing habits to sell as "big data." But, that's all.). I think 1000+ channels were added, and favorites removed, and continuous channel changing disabled because: we'll have to land on some hundred channels briefly, causing Roku to get a penny. An "impressionable visit" (like click bait). We're just mules who generate revenue for Roku. Not customers. We work for Roku, not the other way around. We're the product being sold to advertisers, content providers. We didn't just buy a tv.

OTOH: you can navigate more quickly in the guide (compared to one up/down button press to change one channel at a time). And, to your point: You can also use the << & >> keys to scroll the guide one page at a time (continuously). That might be easier to use.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
concord704
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the info; you have a point about the monetizing of live viewing.   

Like watching the Roku Channel shows/movies, such as the  recently added "24" and don't mind the few ads.

mandojim
Binge Watcher

I would be happy to be able to turn on or off the streaming channels in the guide.  Since the guide was updated to include the streaming channels - all my TCL Roku TV's (I have 3) have had issues causing them to reboot.  I have had about one spontaneous reboot a week.  I think I had maybe three reboots over the lst 3 years prior to the on-line channels being added.

The last spontaneous reboot occurred when I was changing to a weak over-the-air channel.  The TV Hung up - went dark and rebooted.  I did not notice what was going on the other times it rebooted.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@mandojim wrote: I would be happy to be able to turn on or off the streaming channels in the guide. 

You can "hide all" streaming channels in home>settings>tv inputs>live tv.

I primarily watch antenna tv, I factory reset (system>advanced) my two tvs & told the initial setup I would connect to internet later (but didn't). That returned the antenna tv to what seemed like an older version of the software. Favorites is back. Continuous channel changing is back.

But, there's no guide. (No problem for me because I always used my phone or laptop to view an online guide). When landing on a channel, it displays the broadcast EPG info. It's not too bad.

For the moderate streaming I do, I connected a $22 Firestick Lite to HDMI. A $24 Sofabaton F2 slip-on universal/learning remote controls the tv well enough (11 buttons is just enough. I can share my button mappings).

I'm looking at replacing one of my two Roky tvs with a TCL Android. I've seen a video on Youtube that the tv will act upon numeric keys (even though it comes with a remote without numeric keys). I have a URC-7880 which I'd use for that.

Just mentioning it if antenna tv is your priority. You might find "cutting the cord" (with Roku) an option.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Tags (1)
mandojim
Binge Watcher

PERFECT!  Thanks for the tip.  If this stops my spontaneous reboots - I think ROKU should investigate.

However I also have a Firestick and an Android TV connected which do all the on-line streaming channels I need.  If this extended guide is causing my ROKU TV's to reboot - I am happy to set the guide to antenna only

I've had ROKU's since 2008 (Roku DVP N1000)  I currently also have most versions of Firesticks, the latest Google TV/Chromecast, a TIVO Android and a Dynalink Android.  I figure I save at least $50 a month using these devices and not using cable.  So when I see one of these devices that interests me for under $50 - I buy it.  I think I am still way ahead by cutting the cable. 

Thanks!