Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
y6a2
Level 7

RokuTV Connected to network and internet - can't play any channels

Both network and internet connection tests pass. No streaming platform will play. I can connect fine to all services from my PC, macbook, and iphone on the same wireless network. Connecting the TV to my iPhone hotspot makes the Roku TV work, any ideas what's up?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Connected to network and internet - can't play any channels

@y6a2 wrote:

Both network and internet connection tests pass. No streaming platform will play. I can connect fine to all services from my PC, macbook, and iphone on the same wireless network. Connecting the TV to my iPhone hotspot makes the Roku TV work, any ideas what's up?

You didn't list what Roku you have, so we have to make some guesses. If it's working on your hotspot but not your network, then there's nothing wrong with the Roku. Something isn't working correctly on your network for the Roku. How are you connecting, wireless I assume? Do you know if your Roku and your wireless supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz? If so, you might disable 2.4 GHz and see if it works on 5 GHz. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
y6a2
Level 7

It's a TCL 43S425 43 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart Roku LED TV (2018).

Yes wireless, already on 5GHz, but 2.4GHz acts the same. MAC Filtering Mode is set to Allow All. Roku support tells me it's my ISPs problem, my ISP tells me it's Roku's problem. The router admin UI shows the Roku TV in the connected devices list with a signal strength of around 180Mbps. Still, all streaming channels say they can't connect to the internet.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@y6a2 wrote:

It's a TCL 43S425 43 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart Roku LED TV (2018).

Yes wireless, already on 5GHz, but 2.4GHz acts the same. MAC Filtering Mode is set to Allow All. Roku support tells me it's my ISPs problem, my ISP tells me it's Roku's problem. The router admin UI shows the Roku TV in the connected devices list with a signal strength of around 180Mbps. Still, all streaming channels say they can't connect to the internet.

Thanks for the info. Tough to determine then. But I'm not buying the ISP's story. If the TV works fine on the hotspot, then there has to be something going on with the network. What that is, I can't say. I know there are applications that can monitor network traffic, but I have no experience with them. I think one is called Wireshark. I found this tutorial that explains how it works. Perhaps it can help identify what's going on. 

https://www.wireshark.org/

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos