twiceover
Level 10

Roku’s new soundbar and subwoofer

0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku’s new soundbar and subwoofer

Interesting. I think it's a touch pricey both the soundbar and subwoofer together, but not extremely so. Would be even better if it offered HDMI inputs to allow other devices to be connected, and not depend on the TV sending the audio back. As some have found, not all TVs will output multi-channel audio from external devices. Even if the soundbar is technically 2.0/2.1, having 5.1 input usually does better than the TV downmixing it to 2.0. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Considering I got some Logitech desktop speakers with the 'woof' for $40 that sound pretty darn good (external speaker jack), these $200 Roku Speakers better do something extra special - something I'm not exactly seeing at a glance.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Well, supporting ARC is one thing your speakers don't.  Smiley LOL I just priced soundbars a week ago for my daughter's TV, as they had a couple of speakers die and can't afford a complete 5.1 system at this time. I got them a pretty decent 2.1 soundbar for $150, and that included a sub. It doesn't support ARC, and of course neither it nor your speakers also contain a Roku Ultra within it. So, figuring about $80 of the price is the Ultra, the another $70 for the soundbar is actually a pretty good price. It's adding the sub for an addition $180 is where it's past the bargain level. I'd say a total of about $200, and you get a Roku Ultra, the soundbar and the sub, that would be an exceptional deal. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

Chances of a UK release.....
nah, we've got the Roku express (yay)
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
Well, supporting ARC is one thing your speakers don't.  Smiley LOL I just priced soundbars a week ago for my daughter's TV, as they had a couple of speakers die and can't afford a complete 5.1 system at this time. I got them a pretty decent 2.1 soundbar for $150, and that included a sub. It doesn't support ARC, and of course neither it nor your speakers also contain a Roku Ultra within it. So, figuring about $80 of the price is the Ultra, the another $70 for the soundbar is actually a pretty good price. It's adding the sub for an addition $180 is where it's past the bargain level. I'd say a total of about $200, and you get a Roku Ultra, the soundbar and the sub, that would be an exceptional deal. 

Right, well, not even knowing what ARC is I googled a bit:
https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

My Roku Ultra Remote - the battery eater it is - controls the TV's volume (and in turn the 'headphone jack') and it also controls the TV power. I realize this isn't the case for many, but here in DubTown it's working ok. I'm glad I didn't need to spend an extra C-Note or more on some sound to replace some really crappy speakers (are there ANY TV speakers that aren't really crappy?) (rhetorical - TV Speakers are really crappy these days).

The moral of the story?
If you're Roku brand loyal, have a couple hundred burning a hole in your pocket, need an Ultra and some crappy speaker replacement - Roku has a new sound bar that will fill ALL those needs.

$80 is about what I paid for my Ultra Refurb at Amazon. So in the end it's not a bad deal, but the speakers are a little pricey (where have I heard that before?).

Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Yeah, soundbars in general are a rip-off, considering all that they do. A set of speakers in the shape of a "bar" shouldn't cost as much or more than your TV, in my opinion.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Ccmanuals
Level 7

Will the new ONN soundbar connect wirelessly to a Roku TV or do you have to use the hdmi connection?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Ccmanuals 

The Onn. Roku Smart Soundbar soundbar connects to your TV via either HDMI or optical audio (S/PDIF). For more information, we'd recommend contacting Onn support.

You can also see more about the Onn soundbar on Walmart's website here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-Roku-Smart-Soundbar/642573197

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos