Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remotes with channel numbers?

I just replaced a fairly new Samsung TV that I was really unhappy about, and one of the criteria was a remote with channel entry buttons. That eliminated TCL from my shopping list, even though practically every online site said they were the best set for the money. I ended up with an LG Nano85 that blows the Samsung away in picture quality, especially with HDR material. And from the issues I've seen posted here about TCL sets, I'm not certain I would have gone with one anyway. Besides, I don't care for any of the apps on my Smart TVs, as none compare to the simplicity of using a Roku, or the shear power and abilities of the Nvidia Shield.

So even though almost every TV I own is considered a Smart TV, we don't use those functions on any of them except for the Sharp and Insignia Roku TVs. One (Insignia) is in the spare bedroom that the grandkids use if they visit, and the other (Sharp) is a larger 4K set that I use as my teleworking add-on monitor for my laptop, and we also use it for OTA TV and playback from my media server. For both of them, the lack of numeric buttons on the remote isn't a significant issue. But the two big screen sets (bedroom and family room) are used for more OTA than the others. The bedroom Samsung doesn't have numeric buttons, and it's an annoyance but the wife copes with it. The family room (now the LG) absolutely had to have them.

But in the end Roku has no control over the remotes used by Roku TVs. Yeah, they most likely sell their remotes to the TV manufacturer, but I can't imagine any reason they couldn't offer their own, more optioned remotes. Especially since many of the same manufacturers have non-Roku TVs that use different remotes. Now if I'm wrong, and their contract with Roku requires them using the Roku supplied remote, then Roku themselves really need to listen to the complaints. I was contacted for a survey several months ago about something unrelated, but I made sure that the interviewers heard me about it and the promised to make sure Roku heard them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Gkendee
Streaming Star

Congrats on your new LG Nano65 purchase. If that set has a picture that blows away your other Samsung then you probably wouldn't be happy with a TCL ... depends on the set model/type of course... but while my TCl 4k 65 inch has a nice picture, my son's Samsung blows mine away. There's no comparison his is so much better so now I'd like to see how his model compares to your LG Nano65.

Your post about the great LG  picture and remotes going to cause me to go shopping to look at LG sets ...thanks! 

atc98092

@Gkendee wrote:

Congrats on your new LG Nano65 purchase. If that set has a picture that blows away your other Samsung then you probably wouldn't be happy with a TCL ... depends on the set model/type of course... but while my TCl 4k 65 inch has a nice picture, my son's Samsung blows mine away. There's no comparison his is so much better so now I'd like to see how his model compares to your LG Nano65.

Your post about the great LG  picture and remotes going to cause me to go shopping to look at LG sets ...thanks! 

Well, there's different models of Samsung, TCL and LG TVs. The Samsung that was so bad was the NU7100. I have an older JU7100 and it's fine with HDR, especially since it didn't even support HDR when it was released, just updated firmware. Samsung of course has some higher end models that are exceptional as well. I just found that in this price range, the LG Nano85 was head and shoulders over the NU7100, and after the lack of support from Samsung I wasn't going to even consider a new one. I looked at a Sony and didn't see anything with it that the LG didn't have, and when I plugged in a portable hard drive (so I could play some HDR content), the Sony wouldn't even see the movie files. Crossed that off my list immediately. 

EDIT: I realized I entered the wrong model number of the TV I bought. It's the LG NANO85, not 65. No excuse other than I'm getting old... 😛

Dan

Gkendee
Streaming Star

I'm not sure what model Samsung he has but I was going to find out so I could compare it with the different LG (and other) sets that have the functionality, remote and picture quality I seek at a reasonable price. I believe his was significantly more expensive than my TCL so I'm sure there's a reason his picture is so much better. However, he isn't happy with his remote just as I am not with mine and we've determined to do our due diligence before another purchase.

As for functionality it truly is nice to have a set that will "plug and play" hard drives and other media and that will be a "must" for me as well. Right now I'm just streaming my Plex Media Server over WiFi to my TV and using the Plex app to play content but it too has drawbacks. It always seems to be a work in progress ha.

atc98092

Don't forget that your Roku TV will work with an inexpensive universal IR remote. Now I can't say if the number buttons will register with a Roku TV, but for under $10 it might be worth a try. Just make sure whatever remote you find lists Roku as a supported device. 

Dan

Gkendee
Streaming Star

There is a Roku smart phone app where there are actual numbers on the smart phone screen as if they can be used to change channels. Unfortunately they don't do anything as far as the TV tuner or even in-app channel changing in apps like Xumo or Pluto TV apps. The remote functions of the app work just like the actual remote but the TV tuner itself doesn't respond to the numbers when tapped. Only the arrows on the screen work to do anything. The app has the same limited functionality as the actual remote even though they saw fit to "tease" us by putting numbers on the screen.

They are there, I assume, for use with compatible apps on the TV but the regular TV tuner doesn't respond to them. I had assumed the result would be the same with a universal remote. I've read where others have tried and found that universal remote functions are similar to the OE remote...the number buttons don't work. However I've not tried it myself.  I guess I should give it a shot just to see. Thanks!

shgena

Hallelujah! We must force Roku to give us a remote with numbers on it to change channels!  :):)

wac944

I also wish there was a keypad to enter numbers but at least you can use the buttons (rewind and fast forward) next to the play/pause button to navigate through the channels much faster instead of going 1 by 1 using the up and down buttons next to the "ok" button.

I feel the exact same way!!!!!!

dd2019
Reel Rookie

I just got a new onn roku tv for Christmas. $700 tv and I can't go directly to a tv channel!!! I have over 50 channels I have to slowly scroll thru...and no, my rwd and ff buttons don't change channels, they activate live tv pause. And I have several universal remotes and they only have the same functions as the roku remote. I have been a roku user for years and I know they have made great strides and advancements, but this should be a pretty simple fix. AT LEAST offer it in the much promoted remote app.

Thanks