Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kwhalen
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku remote won't change channels on the over the air screen

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply. It looks like other people are having the same issue.  It may be a Roku OS issue. 

I tried the Roku Live TV section and it does have a lot of content, but as far as I could see none of the channels were the local over-the-air channels. When I backed out of that section, then Home, and then back to the over the air the TV guide actually showed up and worked.....once. And then, it went back to not working.  It was the same thing that happened both times I factory reset the TV. It worked correctly once and then...nothing.

For now, the only way I can change channels on my TV is to use the "Manage Channels" setting on the main TV screen by using the pop-up on the left side of the screen.  All of the local channels will show up and I can hover over the one I want to view and it will go to it.

As far as I know, Roku is not looking at the problem.  I had the issue "escalated" at TCL to the software engineers, but have not heard anything from them. It may be time to upgrade my TV, but I really liked the TCL and the Roku OS. 

Kwhalen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

"When in a real mess, re-start TV - and if that doesn't work, unplug and 'reboot.' If that doesn't work... throw up your hands and say "&#$%."

Yep. I am pretty much at that point now.  I factory reset the TV twice and included the steps of unplugging the internet, unplugging the TV, and holding the on/off button on the bottom of the screen to drain any residual power. None of them worked.

I guess I will be in the market for a new TV.

Kilonen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Excellent work around - will try that.  Simpler than the one I have been using. 

For sure this is an issue with either the ROKU OS overall or with their OTA Live TV Tile.  Have factory reset twice, rebooted 3-4x, restarted more.  Happens with the ROKU remote and with my iPhone 13 as the remote. 

Another symptom I have seen is that if you go to the live TV tile - highlight it but don't click it - the yellow box around the tile disappears after a few seconds (after the preview in the tile starts working).  Once it disappears - the remote left/right/up/down and the return buttons cease to function.  If you then hit the Home button - you return to the home screen and the buttons on any remote work fine.  So no way is this a remote issue.

It isn't an antenna issue - because they are all listed IF the TV was tuned to a ROKU Live TV channel when you start the Live TV tile.  Left click to bring up the channel guide and all the OTA stations are listed.  Go to one and then after it tunes in - the TV stops responding to the remote again and you have to back out and get to a ROKU Live TV channel via Live TV in the Home screen list.  None of the OTA's show up in that channel guide - but when you go back to the Live TV tile - it starts up on the ROKU live channel and jthe guide works ONCE.  Your work around will be simpler.

ROKU - please fix this.

Kilonen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Good work around simpler than what I have been doing.  Thanks.

ROKU - please get on this and fix it. 

It isn't the remotes, system update, reboot, restart, or full reset.  None of that fixes this.  The issue is somewhere between your OS and your Live TV tile when viewing OTA channels.  The TV stops responding to the remote (other than volume, home, asterisk, and power buttons) after an OTA channel is viewed.  EVerything is fine after you go back to home - one time only assuming that you were on a ROKU Live TV channel and not an OTA channel when you open the Live TV Tile.

tvid
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks to everyone for their input on this issue - which is, ironically, about the continued viability of one of the basic, original "inputs" on Roku TVs:  antenna TV (aka, the RF coaxial input).

@Kwhalen wrote:

"For now, the only way I can change channels on my TV is to use the "Manage Channels" setting on the main TV screen by using the pop-up on the left side of the screen.  All of the local channels will show up and I can hover over the one I want to view and it will go to it."

Yes, accessing Manage Channels is central to getting OTA channels back imho.

In my case, addtional factors are involved:

1. It was necessary to access "Live TV" in left menu selection - as accessing "Manage Channels" from icon/tile yielded a blank channel list... so there were no channels (streaming or OTA) to manage.

2. So I accessed the "Live TV" menu selection in left column - or alternatively, accessed the "Live TV" sub-section from within the Roku TV (icon/tile/app). Accessing either one correlated with OTA channels re-populating the channel listing, along with streaming channels. 

3. Once I was able to access "Manage Channels" with an actual listing of OTA and streaming channels, OTA channels have remained.

- - -
As I mentioned previously, one other method that correlates with return of OTA channels in the channel guide is to disconnect Internet.

This is a pointless fix, unless you want to periodically connect/re-connect.

But it was a sure fix, in my experience.

- - -
As some users have reported: I also have the persistent issue of sometimes not being able to change channels from within the channel listing. I can select a program on channel listing and get info about the program and/or channel, but clicking on an in-progress program in the listing does nothing.

So in that case, going back Home and starting over typically fixes the issue.

The 'problem' tends to occur primarily when first turning on TV and accessing the Live TV tile/icon.

Weird issue, but I've learned to be very careful and methodical when first accessing the Live TV tile/icon - it does seem that Roku OS can become 'confused' otherwise. As a former computer progammer, I recognize this behavior as problematic logic related to monitoring the real-time event loop... there are lots of things happening in real time on your television, and obviously, things can go wrong if your programming doesn't account for all possible events. :^)

- - -
There is at least one other thread dealing with the general set of issues related to inability of TVs running Roku OS 11.0.0.0, Build 4193 to tune OTA channels and list them in the channel guide:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Over-The-Air-Channels-network-tv-Disappeared/...

In this thread, @Macmanjimmy69 relayed another possible fix he had found on other forums:

"Goto TV Inputs setting and change icon from "Live TV" to "Antenna"... restart, change zip code (to another nearby) restart, scan channels, restart..."

May or may not work for you, but I did change the icon/tile and label for "Live TV" to antenna... just for my own satisfaction. It at least makes clear how I think of that icon: as a representation of the antenna input - to which Roku then chose, at some point in history, to add streaming channels.

The icon/tile represented the antenna TV input to begin with; Roku OS app should still respect that basic function of the television.

I now just label that icon/tile "TV" - it is stil the antenna TV input to me, even though Roku has moved on to emphasizing streaming channels... which, don't get me wrong, I also appreciate! The selection of free ad-supported streaming channels is great, as long as OTA selections are also still available.

Both, please!

Kilonen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for detailed response. Tried re-labeling input followed by restarts including zip and channel scan twice.  No change to issue for us.   Asterisk to manage channels does allow me to see OTA channels list and change channels but no guide info.  Will keep doing that until Roku gets this fixed. 

Really liked the idea of Roku built into TV as the OS but this issue (and ROKUs lack of response) is the downside of that and making me rethink that.  I assume there is no way to run the TV for antenna without using the ROKU OS and interface.   

I think ROKU did respond with support numbers for each TV maker but since the issue happens on (at least) TCL’s and Hisense seems unlikely they will have an answer for mistakes in ROKU’s software. 

tvid
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
Responses inline (in italics):

@Kilonen wrote:
"Thanks for detailed response. Tried re-labeling input followed by restarts including zip and channel scan twice.  No change to issue for us.   Asterisk to manage channels does allow me to see OTA channels list and change channels but no guide info.  Will keep doing that until Roku gets this fixed. "

You're welcome. Not surprising that changing the antenna icon/re-scanning channels didn't work for you - just a further data point. I do like having the antenna icon, but that's irrelevant to the functionality.

"Asterisk to manage channels does allow me to see OTA channels list and change channels but no guide info.  Will keep doing that until Roku gets this fixed."

Does work, which is a plus!

"Really liked the idea of Roku built into TV as the OS but this issue (and ROKUs lack of response) is the downside of that and making me rethink that.  I assume there is no way to run the TV for antenna without using the ROKU OS and interface. "

We also liked (and still like) the OS built-in to the TV, as long as all "TV" functions continue to work.

Other than disconnecting internet, I don't know of any way to get antenna tuning outside of the Roku OS (other than opening up the TV and trying to analyze the hardware/software design). Tuning off-air is apparently part of Roku OS, would have to read up on that...).

In another thread, I did recommend HDHomeRun for OTA-to-IP - you can use either the 'HDHomeRun' app or 'Roku Media Player' app to access locally tuned channels.

I agree that the issue does cause re-thinking the issue of having OS built-in.

fwiw, at about the same time we purchased the TCL Roku TV, we also acquired a Roku standalone streaming stick (works great), and the processing power of that small, inexpensive device exceeds the processing power of the TV...

As long as you can get by with WiFi rather than wired Internet, a small dongle + TV that tunes off-air is a viable option. If you prefer wired ethernet (and we do), Roku Ultra is apparently an option for standalone devices.

"I think ROKU did respond with support numbers for each TV maker but since the issue happens on (at least) TCL’s and Hisense seems unlikely they will have an answer for mistakes in ROKU’s software."

Logic supports your conclusion - this is not a problem exclusive to one TV manufacturer. I esp appreciate input from users of Roku TVs other than TCL. Appears to be solidly a Roku OS issue. 
theorbo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We are having this exact same issue. Please help fix this Roku! 

TCL Roku TV 8113X

TCL Model 40S325

Software 11.0.0 Build 4193-48

We have two remotes connected/linked to this TV. 

BKM888

Jump to solution

My TCL Roku TV does the same thing. I thought maybe something happened to the TV tuner inside the electronics, so I went out and bought another TCL Roku TV and brought it home and set it up.

Everything on the new one worked (including the changing of antenna channels) at least *until* I let the TV do the software update. Please understand that this was a fairly controlled test with a brand new TV right out of the box. I set it up without an internet connection and went straight to the OTA channels. I ran it this way for about an hour.

Then I rebooted the TV with the factory reset, and let it go through a normal new user configuration (including entering my Roku account, etc.) and it also during this process downloaded and updated the firmware and all other software updates.

Once this was done, the OTA channels on the antenna will only work when you first turn on the TV and you can get to your first channel. After this, you can no longer change channels. The 5-way button for going to the chanel guide and moving up or down channels no longer functions (unless you hit the Home button, then it will work to navigate all other apps.

The only way I found to change channels on the antenna is to unplug the Roku TV from the AC outlet for 15 seconds and then plug it back in. This apparently resets the software and when you select the Antenna Icon you will be able to navigate to any channel you wish. Once you select that channel to view it, the software prevents you from changing channels again. Just like the video posted in one of the above posts, the night light flashes like it receives the signal from the remote, but nothing happens.

To take this one step further, I bought 2 additional remotes that I keep in the cabinet because family members have a habit of losing them around the house so I keep spares until the lost one shows up again. For this test I took out all 3 remotes and the all perform the same, so it is not the remote.

Definitely related to the most recent software update. When the stock Icons changed, so did the ability to use the antenna.

BKM

Kilonen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for your work and post on this issue.  One of the other posters shared their work around to change OTA channels: use asterisk button to get to manage channels,/favorites. Direction arrows will work while on asterisk screen.     There you can access your ota channel list with no guide info.  

A small encouragement here is that Roku TV sales are creating more people with this problem every day.  At some point they will be forced to fix this.