Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kwhalen
Binge Watcher

Roku remote won't change channels on the over the air screen

Jump to solution

My Roku remote recently stopped being able to change TV channels on my TCL, Model 55S401, software version 11.0.0, build 4139-30.  All other functions of the remote such as scrolling through the main menus, controlling all the apps, etc., work fine. The batteries in the remote are fine and I did a factory reset to the TV. It did not help

My android phone app also works fine on everything else except the OTA TV navigation. I can get to a TV channel, but it stops navigating after that. The front power LED light flickers like it is getting the signal, but it just makes a blip noise and does nothing. 

Another odd thing is that I can press the asterisk button in the TV screen menu and go through the options on the pop-up side menu. If I do try the asterisk on the home screen OTA icon, it freezes up and I can only press the home screen button to get functionality back again.

Any suggestions will be welcome. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kwhalen
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku remote won't change channels on the over the air screen

Jump to solution

I think I solved the issue with the over-the-air channel changing!

I unplugged the USB drive from the back of the TV that is used to store the recorded pause and rewind info,  and the TV started working as normal. Except I can't pause or record anything. I am not sure why, but I have gone through at least 3 USB drives that become unreadable after a while.  Something in the TV, or OS, corrupts them beyond repair and they can no longer be formatted. I have not tried to plug a different USB back in, since the pause, and rewind feature is very limited anyway.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku does not make TVs keep that in mind. TCL made your TV. First step would be to restart your TV. Go to Settings/System/Power/Restart

0 Kudos
Kwhalen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I will post this question on the TCL forum also.  Roku makes the OS. I thought maybe it was a bug introduced, like when they broke the signal strength meter for OTA channels when they introduced update 10.5 a while back.

Yep. I reset the TV to factory settings, unplugged it, and restarted it. No change.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You probably need to re-scan your channels. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Kwhalen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I rescanned the channels when I reset the TV to factory settings. They all show up, it is just that the remote will not navigate to any channels. The only way I can get a different channel to tune in is to press the asterisk on the Roku and when the sidebar menu pops up, I can scroll to favorites and pick a different channel. It will then go to that channel and I can back out of that menu.  It is just really inconvenient.

I guess if nobody else is having this issue, my TV is at fault. I sent the same question to TCL and they are looking at the issue.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Kwhalen

Thanks for the post.

It's possible that the issue may be related to your remote in itself. Have you tried contacting TCL support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kwhalen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have tried using my Android Roku app and it acts the same as the remote. So, I don't think it is the remote. I have factory reset the TV twice and it was odd, but after the second reset, the channel change worked for like 10 seconds and then stopped.

I did reach out to TCL and they are escalating it to their software engineers. It may just be that my TV is FUBAR. 

TCL did want a video of the issue in acting and I sent them this link....
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kc4rPJ8jcz71vdWdYO8doOOLMVTOvF-u/view?usp=drive_web

0 Kudos
tvid
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same problem, 11.0.0.0, Build 4193 - TCL TV

With internet connected: no channel listings (off-air or streaming), no remote changing of TV channels. As of today: June 21, 2022.

Tried everything. One thing works: DISCONNECT INTERNET: TV Channels back (with no info on listings, until you tune to the channel... per typical off-air TVs, without Internet channel listings).

So the problem is obviously with Roku channel listings. With ethernet, everything else works - including the Roku "Live TV" streaming (that is in effect an "app" complete with channel listings, but apart from the off-air channel guide).

The problem is off-air channel listings with the internet connected. Internet disconnected restores channel listing and remote operation.

- - -

(I think you may find that a few of the * functions related to channel management don't work, even though the rest of the TV controls through that asterisk menu do function as expected).

Kilonen
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am having EXACTLY the same problem on my Hisense Roku TV.  One work around I found is if I go to ROKU Live TV (not the tile but in the list on left of Home) then tune to a ROKU channel like 115 the remote buttons work as normal for channel changing but my OTA channels are not shown. Exit back to Home, then to Live TV tile, 115 is playing. Then buttons work and guide comes up now showing my OTA channels.  I can then go to any of my OTA channels but this only works once. Once on an antenna channel TV doesn’t respond to back or return buttons - just home.  Does same using iPhone and ROKU remote.  Have checked for updates - nothing since May 11. Have restarted, unplugged TV, rebooted via the 5x home button… you tube method.  Have removed, re-added, rescanned Live TV input.  All don’t change it. Given TCL has exact same problem as my Hisense - has to be a ROKU system glitch. Please help.  

tvid
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Kilonen wrote:
"One work around I found is if I go to ROKU Live TV (not the tile but in the list on left of Home) then tune to a ROKU channel like 115 [...]"

Yes, this is also how I began the process that correlated with OTA channels returning to the channel guide, with internet connected.

"Once on an antenna channel TV doesn’t respond to back or return buttons - just home."

Have experienced this - have to get out of the antenna/Live TV selection, go back Home and then launch antenna/Live TV again; the TV usually becomes responsive to tuning OTA channels with remote, then.

When in a real mess, re-start TV - and if that doesn't work, unplug and 'reboot.' If that doesn't work... throw up your hands and say "&#$%."

It seems that many are experiencing variations of the problem, and it also seems that there is not a single solution that works for all. But, somehow, accessing the "Live TV" listing in left column does play a role, for some.

As mentioned, what also worked for me is to disconnect internet; of course, Roku TV isn't good for anything other than OTA, in that case... so that is not a "solution."

Best of luck.