Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chaz1970
Level 7

Roku remote inadvertently operates nearby dumb Vizio TV and visa versa. Causing conflict.

Just setup a HiSense 4K UHD Roku TV.  I have a nearby Dumb Vizio TV. After the setup, the Roku Remote changes inputs on Vizio when trying to navigate. Also, when changing the input on the Vizio remote, it changes/conflicts with input on Roku TV. I can't get them to only operate on the TV they are supposed to.

Things I have tried.

Took out batteries after powering down both units and brought them back up individually. 

Put opaque tape on both remotes.

Nothing is working yet. How do I get the remotes so they only work with the TV they are designed for?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote inadvertently operates nearby dumb Vizio TV and visa versa. Causing conflict.

There is nothing you can do short replacing one of them with brand that doesn't use that code set. There are many other brands that use that same code set like LG, RCA, and other Roku tv brands. You could get a wifi remote and pair it to roku tv, that would stop the roku remote from controlling the vizio, but there isn't anything you can do to stop the vizio remote from controlling the Roku tv.

There was a aftermarket device that turned IR remotes into RF remotes, it was called the Next Generation Extender, look like a space ship, anyways it replaces one of the batteries in vizio remote, then you tape up the vizio remote so no IR escaped, the space ship base station would be at the tv. It has repeater cable coming out that you would tape to the front of the IR window on the tv in manner that no IR reached it unless it came from the repeater cable.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku remote inadvertently operates nearby dumb Vizio TV and visa versa. Causing conflict.

@Chaz1970 wrote:

Just setup a HiSense 4K UHD Roku TV.  I have a nearby Dumb Vizio TV. After the setup, the Roku Remote changes inputs on Vizio when trying to navigate. Also, when changing the input on the Vizio remote, it changes/conflicts with input on Roku TV. I can't get them to only operate on the TV they are supposed to.

Things I have tried.

Took out batteries after powering down both units and brought them back up individually. 

Put opaque tape on both remotes.

Nothing is working yet. How do I get the remotes so they only work with the TV they are designed for?

Putting tape on the remotes doesn't accomplish anything. You have to block the IR receiver on the TV. I use a small Vizio TV as a computer monitor, so I have no need to use the IR remote under most circumstances, so I've blocked the IR window on the TV, and now my Roku remote doesn't change it. 

I don't know if your Hisense TV supports a WiFi Direct remote, but if it does then you could replace the remote with a Roku TV Voice remote. Then blocking the IR output of the remote should shield it from controlling the IR of the Vizio TV. Of course, the Vizio remote will control the Roku TV unless you block the IR receiver window on that TV as well. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos