Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crunchysuperman
Channel Surfer

Roku media player keeps dropping back to menu on Roku TV

I put a Westinghouse Roku TV in the lobby of our business to play an mp4 promo video on loop from a usb stick.  I've got the playback set to loop and it works just fine  . . . . for a while.  It's only a 1 minute video, and it will keep replaying sometimes for days, sometimes only for hours.  But eventually, I see that the Roku screensaver is on, as it's back at the Roku main menu.  Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how long it will keep playing, and I've tried several different usb sticks.  All the power save stuff is turned off.  I've also tried covering the IR port, just in case it is somehow getting a signal to stop, but no change.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku media player keeps dropping back to menu

Hi @crunchysuperman

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

Have you tried to remove and reinstall the Roku Media Player to see if it helps? 

To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

If you need assistance with the Roku Media Player, you can visit our Support page for troubleshooting here: How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need additional support. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
crunchysuperman
Channel Surfer

I will try that

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@crunchysuperman 

Thank you for doing the suggested steps. Feel free to keep us posted on how it goes, especially when if it did not work for us to assist you further. 

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
crunchysuperman
Channel Surfer

No joy.  I Removed the media player app, restarted the tv & re-installed the app.  It looped the playback for about 6 hours, then quit back to the screensaver.  One thing I have noticed is when I press a key on the remote to cancel the screensaver, I sometimes see a second of the video (frozen) before it jumps back to the menu.  Other times, it is already on the main menu when I cancel the screensaver.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @crunchysuperman!

We understand that you've taken the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.
Do you currently have any Bandwidth Saver settings set? It's possible that the channel is timing out with the Bandwidth Saver feature. You can check out this article for further references: How does Bandwidth Saver work.

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Warm regards,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
crunchysuperman
Channel Surfer

Nope.  Turned that off and it was still working when I left, but when I came in this morning it was right back to the screen saver.

At this point, I will probably just pick up a mini media player that goes through HDMI, unless you have another suggestion.

0 Kudos
RokuArvyS
Retired Moderator

Hi @crunchysuperman

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you've taken the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue with the screen saver; let's work on it.

You can disable your screensaver by going to Settings> Theme> Screensaver> Screensaver start time> Disable Screensaver.

Keep us posted so we can further assist you.
Warm Regards,

Arvy

Marc
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
crunchysuperman
Channel Surfer

I tried that.  Looping playback still randomly drops back to the main menu.  The only difference now is the screensaver doesn't come on once it happens.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @crunchysuperman,

Thanks for the update. We appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this.

We'd like to look further into this case and we will need some information to better clarify the issue.

Please provide us with the information below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About) mobile device brand, model, and OS
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
  • When did you start seeing this issue occur?
  • Can you provide a photo or video of the issue you're experiencing?

We will be looking forward to your update. Thank you!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.