Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cottontop

Roku device using internet data 24 hours a day

Jump to solution

I purchased 4 Roku devices and have never had a problem until now. My recent Xfinity bill indicated an abnormal (extremely high) amount of data usage and imposed a penalty on my account. I contacted the firm that set up my electronic surround sound system, and they found that one (1) of my 4 Roku devices was continuously using data, day and night 24 hours a day. He disconnected the device and my internet usage immediately dropped to (my) normal levels. Is there a software patch or some other fix to this problem, or do I simply get a new streaming device?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku device using internet data 24 hours a day

Jump to solution

Hi @Cottontop

Thanks for the post.

You can try using our Bandwidth Saver feature which will automatically halt streaming after four hours of inactivity on your Roku device. If you need help enabling it, feel free to follow the steps below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Bandwidth saver
  5. Choose On

Note: Some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver.

For more information, you can visit this Support link: How to use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over your internet data cap

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Cottontop 

In addition to @RokuKariza-D suggestion of enabling the Bandwidth Saver feature on your Roku devices, (👍), make sure you press the Home button on your Roku Remote when you are finished watching.  This will return you to the Home Screen and stop all streaming (data usage).

Many users incorrectly assume the Power button on the Roku Remote turns their devices Off.  The Power button is solely for TV power, not the Roku device.  Always use the Home Button to Stop Streaming. (The Roku device will then automatically go into a Sleep Mode after some time.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Cottontop

Thanks for the post.

You can try using our Bandwidth Saver feature which will automatically halt streaming after four hours of inactivity on your Roku device. If you need help enabling it, feel free to follow the steps below:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Bandwidth saver
  5. Choose On

Note: Some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver.

For more information, you can visit this Support link: How to use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over your internet data cap

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Cottontop 

In addition to @RokuKariza-D suggestion of enabling the Bandwidth Saver feature on your Roku devices, (👍), make sure you press the Home button on your Roku Remote when you are finished watching.  This will return you to the Home Screen and stop all streaming (data usage).

Many users incorrectly assume the Power button on the Roku Remote turns their devices Off.  The Power button is solely for TV power, not the Roku device.  Always use the Home Button to Stop Streaming. (The Roku device will then automatically go into a Sleep Mode after some time.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102