Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchisGirl
Level 7

Roku can control Home Theater volume via Google Assistant but not with the remote?

I recently started using Google Assistant on my phone and added the Roku control ability. I noticed that I can tell Google to "turn up the TV" and a "Changing Volume" Roku notification appears in the top right corner of the TV and the volume on my surround sound system will increase by 5 notches. I can do the same for "down" and "mute" also works.

If the Roku can communicate with my sound system via Google Assistant, why shouldn't the Roku remote control be able to do this?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku can control Home Theater volume via Google Assistant but not with the remote?

Because its controlling the volume by the internet, IP. But roku remote only controls tv's and by IR, its upto the tv to control the av receiver via hdmi-cec over the hdmi cable. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ArchisGirl
Level 7

Re: Roku can control Home Theater volume via Google Assistant but not with the remote?

I understand that the official position is that the remote doesn't control sound system volume, but the Roku itself can. My question was if the Roku can control the volume, why can't you use the Roku remote to control volume, but you can use Google assistant to tell the Roku to change volume and it works. My TV is not operating the volume.

0 Kudos