Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phillip_powell
Reel Rookie

Extreme difference in volume between smart soundbar and wireless speakers

I have a Roku TV, Roku Smart Soundbar, and Roku wireless speakers.  There is an extreme difference between the volume of the soundbar and the wireless speakers.  The volume can be turned up and the volume of the soundbar becomes very loud, yet the volume of the wireless speakers is so faint that one can hardly make out any sound at all even when the speaker is held next to one's ear.  I have followed all the troubleshooting instructions on the website, but nothing has made a difference.  Before I had the soundbar I had the wireless speakers, and when the volume was turned up the speakers would become very loud. I have added the smart soundbar and followed all the instructions for pairing, troubleshooting, etc. but to no avail. And, yes, I have even factory reset the speakers.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I was led to believe this would be seamless, but it has not.

Many Thanks,

Phillip

jollybolly
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Wireless Speakers in Surround setup with Roku soundbar not loud enough

Thank you mcgooze for addressing this issue. I was ready to take my Roku accessories back to the store because of the surround sound deficiency. Hopefully, Roku developers will fix it soon. Without the "stereo" sound feature, I would have had two wireless speakers that I would have had to hang on my eyeglass frames in order to hear them. Smiley Frustrated

Thx again for your comments and those that followed.

@mcgooze wrote:

This is a continuation of a discussion original discussed here:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Software-update-Roku-Smart-Soundbar-amp-Wireless-Surround-...

I'm starting a new thread because the original question was solved, but the discussion continued into what appears to be a bug or flaw in the Surround update, using the Roku Soundbar, Sub & wireless speakers for a 4.1 setup (with the new 9.26, Build 5201 OS update).

What I and others have found is that the Surround is working (when playing back a signal broadcast in Dolby 5.1, such as many shows on Netflix) but there is no way (at least that any of us have found) to control the volume of the surround speakers, and they are too quiet to give a real surround experience. For many of us, the only time the surround speakers are noticeable is when they are playing back a stereo signal (such as music on YouTube), with the "enhanced stereo mode" set to "music" (which isn't surround!).

I like that Roku seems to want to make their products very user friendly, but there really needs to be a way to adjust individually the volume of the speakers in relation to how they are positioned to the listener, as users can't always set their speakers in exactly the way that design engineers would deem ideal.

I'm hoping this gets addressed quickly in another software update. I bought the surround speakers based on the announcement of Surround and so far it's pretty disappointing.

0 Kudos
mcgooze
Streaming Star

I actually got a reply from tech support a little while ago when I reported the issue to them directly. It was promising, but non-committal, so we'll have to see if anything comes from it.

"Hello Greg,

Thank you for reporting the issue with your Wireless Speakers. Our team is working on individually controlling the audio for the speakers. Once there is an update, you can control the audio for the speakers individually. At this time, we don't' have an update when or if this feature will be available. You can stay tuned to updates from https://www.roku.com/blog for updates on this feature.

Thanks,
Roku Customer Support"

greg

0 Kudos
antsam

Re: Extreme difference in volume between smart soundbar and wireless speakers

Same issue as everyone else. Seems like it would have been an obvious function to have. Hope they update soon. I’m almost sorry I got it, but if I wanted to be able to use speakers and sub, I had to purchase soundbar because I no longer have a Roku tv. 

0 Kudos
mcgooze
Streaming Star

@akakar4858 wrote:

Hello everyone I created a "suggest a feature" topic here :

I just posted this in akakar4858's thread also, but for those who haven't gone there...

Has anyone else noticed? It appears that with software version 9.30 / Build 4134 of the Soundbar, the volume of the surround speakers has been significantly increased!  Wow. For the 1st time since I've had the Roku Surround setup, I'm actually enjoying a surround experience! Still no user control that I can find (yeah, I'd still like to tweak it a bit), but the improvement is enormous. It's gone from non-existent to "Hello, here I am!". Good first step, Roku!

0 Kudos
jollybolly
Channel Surfer

Thank you for updating us on this issue. I just checked my Soundbar system settings and updating them to the latest version. Has anyone tried the new update using the Movies and TV (surround sound) setting versus the Music (stereo) setting?

After the update, I changed my system setting to Movies and TV from Music but I haven't had a chance yet to actually check out any major differences. That's why I'm asking whether someone else has already done that or has any comments.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
mcgooze
Streaming Star

@jollybolly wrote:

...Has anyone tried the new update using the Movies and TV (surround sound) setting versus the Music (stereo) setting?...

Fyi (in case you don't know this), that setting has nothing to do with surround sound. It is merely a setting to tell the surround speakers how to act when a signal is stereo only.

0 Kudos
electrifyin31
Reel Rookie

What I discovered is the system sounds better without the soundbar. I think the overall experience is better with just the Sub and the Wireless speakers performing as left and right. Save the money on the soundbar as use it to buy lots of snacks and adult beverages of your choice.

hack
Reel Rookie

This issue currently still exist. Having the same problem as of 6/20/2020.

Klown

I’m glad I’m not the only one who is having this problem. I just bought some of the Roku wireless speakers to go with my Roku Soundbar and I thought I was going crazy. 

0 Kudos