Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NicCrockett
Reel Rookie

Roku Turning TV On Randomly

I know this topic has been posted before. I found this post to be the most helpful. A Roku employee closed the post saying it was outdated due to a new version of the OS being released.

That said, I'm still having the issue described by many in that post. I'm actually having worse issues than described. I've experienced not only the Roku turning the TV on in the morning, but it installs channels and starts playing content.

One of the methods a user suggested was to change the screensaver to the default. I tried this and it stopped installing channels and playing content. However, the TV continued turning on.

Another user suggested turning off the CEC. I did this and seemed to have fixed the issue. However, I can no longer turn the TV on via the Roku remote's power button or home button.

Backstory:
I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick +v2 after reading online that this was the best fit for Samsung TVs from 2015. I used it with no issues for several months. However, the noise bothered my wife, not Roku's fault! So, I purchased some bluetooth headphones and connected them to my Google Pixel 4a 5G phone since Roku doesn't have built in bluetooth. I installed the Roku remote app to use Roku's Private Listening feature on my phone. This is when the Roku's A/V started having issues. The audio started cutting out and the streaming video started having buffering issues. The TV is connected via ethernet, where the Roku and phone are connected via WiFi.

Diagnosis:
Private Listening seems to be the issue. If you minimize the remote app it has issues. If you keep bluetooth connected to the phone all night it has issues with the Roku app, i.e. turns off Private Listening and sound suddenly comes from the TV. I often have to close the Roku remote app and restart it to get sound to go to the headphones. It's also not unusual to need to restart the video as well.

Feature Request:
1. Obviously fix the issues stated above.
2. Make it possible to enable CEC again so I can control the TV via the Roku remote.
3. An option to set a timer to turn off the Roku and/or TV

Thanks for any help you can provide, and sorry for the long message!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Roku Turning TV On Randomly

If your TV keeps turning on by itself, and you use the Roku mobile app, ensure the app is completely closed before turning your TV off. Sometimes the TV registers the app as you still using the TV and may turn it back on.

mobdro

MyFiosGateway Verizon

0 Kudos
NicCrockett
Reel Rookie

I fall asleep to the TV being on. I can't close the app after I've fallen asleep. This also doesn't fix the A/V issues with Private Listening or the waste in power because the Roku never turns off. Plus, why would the phone remote cause this issue and the physical remote not?

0 Kudos
Ferlo

Same issue here. Started happening when I changed my phone to a Pixel a week back.

So far happens when private listening is on. This morning woke me up  playing Apollo 13 with the audio on my phone. I have no idea what channel that was, and how it started that movie. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Ferlo

Thanks for the post.

When you are done streaming content, are you making sure to return to the Home screen to ensure that the Roku TV is no longer streaming. In addition, are you making sure that your Roku mobile app is closed on you phone to prevent it from accidentally waking up your Roku TV?

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Doc58

I’m fairly new to Roku and just recently my TV started turning on by itself after I had been watching it. I do not have the Roku app installed on my iPhone or iPad. Also recently the sound cuts out but the video continues then the sound will come back on after a second or two. Spectrum cable came out and swapped out my modem box but that did not resolve the problem even though they found issues in the box.
Did temporally resolve the TV from coming on I have disconnected the power to the Roku device.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Doc58

Thanks for the post.

Some customers have reported that they have been able to resolve their issue by disabling the screensaver feature on their device. Have you tried that troubleshooting step to see if that helps what you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mdk01
Reel Rookie

I bought my TV back in May. This has become such a persistent issue, every time I watch TV I have to unplug the power cord to ensure it doesn't turn back on.

0 Kudos