Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karkat55
Level 7

Roku TVs display HDR?

A Best Buy salesman told me tonight that Roku TVs can read HDR content but they don't display it in HDR. He then tried to steer me to other TVs.

Was he lying? I figured he was, but I wanted to check with people that would know.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
royjohnjr
Level 7

Re: Roku TVs display HDR?

False. I have a TCL 55S405 which is a Roku TV and it reads and displays HDR content. I did have to set the HDMI inputs to the 2.0 HDMI setting in the menu to activate it though and the tv version I have only supports HDR10 and not Dolby Vision.
0 Kudos
davidriven
Level 7

excuse me. why Roku TVs don't display it in HDR ?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

While I know of no definitive list of Roku TV features, to my knowledge every 4K Roku TV now on the market decodes and displays HDR. My Sharp certainly does, and I know many TCL and Insignia TVs do as well. If the TV is not 4K, then I would say yes, it doesn't display HDR, but then virtually no 1080 sets do. And I doubt a 1080 set would be able to decode the HDR. I know when I display HDR content on my 1080 Panasonic plasma, it looks very washed out. But it doesn't sound like that salesman either had much knowledge or was specifically pushing you to something else. And my Sharp came from Best Buy, so yes they sell Roku TVs that support 4K/HDR.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"katplax" wrote:
I tried to fire this HDR from the xbox one and somehow I did not get the impression that there is a hdr service

I have never played with an XBox, so can't say what settings it has. But make sure it's video settings are correct for 4K/HDR. On the TV, Check your HDMI setting. Under Name, Xbox is an option, so it might make a difference. Also make sure the HDMI mode setting is either Auto or set on 2.0. HDMI 1.4 won't give you HDR, and won't give 4K/60 either. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos