Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maitlin123
Level 7

Roku TV volume suddenly not working correctly

We are having issues with our sound on our Roku TV. This happened randomly yesterday. When starting up a streaming service from within the TV there is no volume. To hear anything you have to open up settings and turn Volume mode from Leveling to Off and then back to either Leveling or Night. Volume resumes normally at that point. But the sound drops back out again if an ad comes on, if we're watching a show and an episode ends and a new one begins, or even if we rewind or fast forward. Then we need to go back into settings to repeat the process I just described.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku TV volume suddenly not working correctly

@Maitlin123 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with more information? What brand Roku TV are you using? Is this issue happening on a specific channel or does it happen regardless of what channel you are watching?

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MortDeNihil
Level 7

I am having exactly the same problem. 

I purchased my Onn TV a month ago and shortly after the sound became distorted and eventually the volume dropped completely when using Leveling or Night Modes. Most of the time this isn't an issue, but HULU is the worst offender; the dialog is indistinguishable, and the commercials practically blow the windows out. Leveling is critical. 

-Roku device model 7830X
-serial number YN00DG838322
-device ID B459DD838322
-software OS/VERSION 9.3.2 Build 4167-AT
-tracker ID 22-420-404

I hope this is helpful. [personal information removed]

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@MortDeNihil 

Thanks for the post.

If you do not use the volume modes, are you still experiencing the issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MortDeNihil
Level 7

Hi, Danny,

I apologize if I was not clear: There is NO volume at all from the television when I use the Night of Leveling volume modes. Nothing but a faint, distorted sound if I turn the channel to full volume. The sound of the Roku TV (Onn) however is present but distorted - think like a blown speaker if you've ever had that issue in your home or car. 

So, to answer your question there is no sound (or minutest possible) when Night and Leveling are turned on, and the Roku TV sounds (pressing a button on the remote, moving across the home screen, etc) are fuzzy and sound damaged.

I hope this is helpful!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@MortDeNihil 

Thanks for the clarification.

With that said, when you do NOT use any volume modes on your TV, do you still experience the issues you are reporting?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MortDeNihil
Level 7

There is no audible distortion when these functions are turned off.

Apologies, I meant to begin with that statement.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MortDeNihil
Level 7

Well, you haven't heard back. The issue is getting progressively worse. Now the volume is indistinguishable below volume level 80. This is without any features turned on. No night mode, no leveling. I just went out to Walmart and bought a 36" Onn soundbar which I assumed would be compatible with my Onn TV. The volume is maxed on the soundbar and TV and I can barely hear the program on the Hulu app. What is wrong with my TV and how do I get a replacement? 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@MortDeNihil 

Thanks for the update.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
SwagtasticMe
Level 7

Mine is not working well with Hulu. Are there any troubleshooting tips to help?

0 Kudos