Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku TV turns on and off, on its own

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

The issue you are experiencing my be related to a hardware issue and we would recommend contacting your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Community post here: 

Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Umma
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

It's like saying that if ten different people all got sick from eating the same meal at the same restaurant, the problem is with them and not with the restaurant

For myself and most other people, the problem suddenly started with a previously workable device without changing the TV. So either it was a TV firmware upgrade, or Roku upgrade causing this.

When multiple TVs from different manufacturers all start exhibiting the same exact problem with Roku devices, it seems pretty clear that the problem lies with Roku.

Now, it may be that the older Roku devices simply aren't compatible with new TVs. However, this wouldn't explain why they were working before. 

Your reply comes across as an attempt to deflect the issue and send Roku users on wild goose chase. Don't know what the expected outcome is other than making sure none of us will ever consider buying another Roku device.

L-M-O
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The only thing I did was uninstall Pluto app, reboot my Roku device and reinstalled the Pluto app.  So far I’ve not had an issue.  As the issue I experienced was only with the Pluto app on Roku.  I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Umma
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Revisiting this topic (just because I keep getting reply notifications), I did end up just switching to Samsung's own apps - and finding out that they are actually pretty good. My Roku devices are now collecting dust in a drawer.

So, good job pushing a decade long loyal customer away from your brand.

0 Kudos
cwsmith43

Jump to solution

The response from Roku is embarrassing. It basically says you have no idea.

I have a Vizio tv and have disabled the CEC (forgot initials, think that is right) on tv and Roku. I believe it is the automatic update that is turning on the tv instead. If there was a way to disable the automatic update, I think that would fix the problem. This is a Roku device issue if it happens on multiple tv brands. 

If you don’t know how to fix it, at least say we are aware of the issue and looking to resolve it in an update. If there is another recommendation on a product not Roku I would be interested as well. Thanks 

Jd131
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

More than likely it’s your TV remote.  Download roku app on your phone to control the tv.   Remove batteries from your remote to check if that resolves your issues.  

0 Kudos
ct_connect
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have been having the issue - TV turning on randomly - when I switched to using a IR-remote (from the standard remote)

I have a Roku Ultra+

I have tried

- putting the remote in a drawer when not in use

- pointing the remote away from the ROKU Ultra and TV when not in use

the only thing that has worked to stop the TV from turning on randomly is 

- remove the remote batteries when I am not watching the TV

while a solution, this is NOT a great solution.  In 2021, I should not have to take batteries in/out of a device each time I want to use it.

I see that most of the Roku responses blame the TV, but I have had this TV for 10+ years and never had this issue.

I had to switch to a IR-only remote since the wifi remote was causing massive interference with my home wifi-network

0 Kudos
Jd131
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Purchase a new remote and your problems should be resolved.  ROKU sells replacement remotes, I found mine on Amazon.

0 Kudos
ct_connect
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

the current IR-remote was purchased off Amazon at the end of July, 2021

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JSCZBHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

why would a different remote behave correctly?

- I cannot use the remote that comes with the Roku Ultra (wifi remote) since that causes wifi interference that basically crashed my wifi network.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem now I have a sharp 65 in #sharp 

0 Kudos