Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
creeve4
Level 7

Roku TV "TV Brightness" Setting

Does anyone know how the "TV Brightness" setting (Darker, Dark, Normal, Bright, Brighter) works on Roku TVs? 
Does it cap the brightness range of the TV? e.g. if using Darker, the maximum screen brightness is capped at say 70, minimum at 0 vs Normal, max at 90, min at 10?
I see that regardless of the setting I select for TV Brightness, I can adjust the Backlight from 0 to 100, but how do these two settings work together? 
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Roku TV "TV Brightness" Setting

I believe it's the same as the Backlight control on other TVs, changing the overall level of the backlighting. Yes, that differs from what the brightness and contract settings do. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

TV Brightness affects the overall brightness of the TV and applies to all inputs.  The other Backlight and Brightness settings are per-input, which means you can have different settings for streaming, the various HDMI ports, composite, and the tuner.  There, Backlight controls the brightness of the backlight, while Brightness controls the way the picture data is modified in the video processor.
0 Kudos
creeve4
Level 7

So other than the brightness of the TV interface, there is no difference between the following for a given source?
1. TV Brightness = Darker / Backlight = 80
1. TV Brightness = Brighter / Backlight = 20
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

I would suggest that you set TV BRIGHTNESS to NORMAL as a baseline and then dial-in your BACKLIGHT and BRIGHTNESS settings per input (i.e. HDMI, Streaming, OTA) as stated in Post #3 to your visual preference. Then use the TV BRIGHTNESS to adjust for the current ambient light in the room based on time of day and lighting you may have on. I personally prefer to keep my TV BRIGHTNESS at DARK and then will occasionally bump to NORMAL or BRIGHT if time of day or content is too dark. But, most of the time I find DARK works well to keep the blacks from washing out for most SD content.  All of these comments are based on my PICTURE MODE preference of NORMAL with a WARM color temp setting. MOVIE was just too much of a yellow haze on most content for my liking.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos