Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
00Customer

Roku TV issue Roku Don't Care

I have a Roku TV. A functioning Amazon Stick is plugged into it because the latest 9.3 update broke Wi-Fi. The fact that my Amazon Stick should be rock solid evidence that Roku broke their product. Not that they care. Pretty clear from their website that they're hoping people will just wander around their website until they're frustrated and give up. Mission accomplished!

I'm not buying a new one. I hate Roku now. I did my research and see that this problem is common, yet Roku blame their customers. Hello, every other device in my house works! And before update 9.3 so did Roku. I hope that TCL sever their ties with your company because you've made them look like idiots.

23 REPLIES 23
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Don't Care

Well, you can rant at Roku, and you have some justification. But I have to say that the majority of issues I've noticed with Roku TVs have all been the TCL brand. I have a Sharp and Insignia Roku TV that have been and are still just fine with 9.3, and all versions previous. I believe a lot of your unhappiness should be directed at TCL, not Roku. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
TKFranks
Reel Rookie

My TCL starting having issues right after the recent update and TCL support blames Roku and tells me buy a new tv

Azzamean
Reel Rookie

Yea like when? How the **bleep** did they release an update that broke everything

atc98092

@Azzamean wrote:

Yea like when? How the **bleep** did they release an update that broke everything

That's a bit of hyperbole. No release has ever broken "everything". What specific issue are you having, and what model Roku do you have?

Dan

0 Kudos
TKFranks
Reel Rookie

WHEN????? Because I am still having issues. I do not have money laying around to go and buy a new TV like your customer service rep told me to do. 

I Can't watch TV, play my playstation, stream from Netflix or Disney plus, or even watch DVD without the TV shutting off every 30 seconds. This is WRONG

Madashell2

Wow you have actually got to talk to someone.  DO NOT BUY A ROKU TV for you own good.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote: Well, you can rant at Roku and you have some justification.... I have a Sharp and Insignia Roku TV that have been and are still just fine with 9.3, 

Just curious: How would TCL cause their tvs to stop working with a Roku version of software? It seems like the natural way to view such a condition is that the new version of software wasn't TESTED with TCL tvs?

Is there another way of seeing this?

I'm not in love with TCL. But, when a tv stops working after an update, it seems like a stretch to blame the manufacturer. The obvious culprit is the update. (Unless manufacturers are responsible for testing updates?).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@Visitor45763 

Since Roku doesn't manufacture the TVs, it's the job of the manufacturer to ensure the OS operates on the hardware they have chosen. TCL seems have chosen so less than stellar hardware components, as they often have networking issues. With the two TVs I have, that's never happened. I don't know the internal testing régime Roku follows, but I expect they give beta versions to companies like TCL, who then tests their own hardware. Microsoft doesn't (and can't) test their software on every possible combination of hardware, which is the cause of the majority of problems with PCs, namely the device manufacturer is the one that must ensure their product (and drivers) work on the OS. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@_Rebecca wrote: After the recent update there are some issues, but soon all be resolve. 

Reminds me of the song "How Soon Is Now" (The Smiths)

"When you say it's gonna happen now
When exactly do you mean?
See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone"

Five months later and it's worse. The Roku front-men on the forum are still "taking info, and passing it on" as if these problem reports are mere suggestions.

How long are people supposed to live with broken TVs due to UNTESTED UPDATES? When should we expect updates to be tested? And/or, the ability to go back to a software version that worked?

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos