Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zackrett
Level 7

Roku TV in Germany

Hey there,

Since Amazon and Google have their childish discussion I am looking for an alternative to the FireTV Stick.
So I found Roku from wich I never heard before. Sry for this Smiley Happy

I read that RokuTV is not supported in germany.
Does that mean, that i am unable to watch Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify or YouTube here in germany (and in german)? Because those are actually the only apps I will use.

Thanks for your help and a nice weekend!

Thomas

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Roku in Germany

Will a Roku itself work in Germany? I'm certain any of the European models would be fine. Will the channels you desire work? That is up to the channel providers. Roku does not control what country the channel will work in. So if Amazon, Netflix, or other channel provider supports a particular country on Roku, then yes. But you have to be careful, because sometimes the provider (like Amazon) may support a particular country, but not on all devices. Hopefully someone in Germany that uses a Roku can respond with a more definitive answer.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Janduracn1
Level 7

Hi all, I am in the US
This is the only post that comes close to my question. I am new here, I am tech savvy. Our daughter lives and works in Germany for the last 5yrs. We are buying her a tv, I have not found any ROKU TVs on line in Germany. I told her to get the ROKU kit. She has been streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime on her phone. Since she does not want to pay for WiFi connection in her new apt I told her to just use her phone as a hot spot since she has unlimited data. I have been reading that ROKU in Germany is limited with regard to availability of streaming packages. Can someone give me info on this? 
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the note here. 

@atc98092's post above noted some important points regarding availability of certain channels on the Roku platform in regions where Roku devices aren't currently sold. 

Roku TVs and streaming players aren't directly sold in Germany at this time, and channel availability on the Roku platform may vary. For instance, Netflix & YouTube are currently available just about anywhere, however, Amazon has not made their Prime Video channel available in Germany yet. You would want to check with any individual channel provider for more availability information in your specific location. 

We're always looking to expand our offerings, and appreciate you sharing the interest. Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Janduracn1
Level 7

My daughter is not going through a WiFi provider, she is going to use her cellphone data as a hotspot. She currently been streaming Prime, Netflix and Hulu on her phone via her unlimited data. They do sell ROKU hook ups in Germany but they are expensive. Should she consider a smart tv connect via her hotspot WiFi?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"Janduracn1" wrote:
My daughter is not going through a WiFi provider, she is going to use her cellphone data as a hotspot. She currently been streaming Prime, Netflix and Hulu on her phone via her unlimited data. They do sell ROKU hook ups in Germany but they are expensive. Should she consider a smart tv connect via her hotspot WiFi?

Thanks.

I caution that even if it works on her phone, it might not on a Roku player or TV. I suggest contacting the providers and ask what devices they support in Germany. Apparently in a lot of European locations the providers only support certain devices. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos