Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
west77
Level 7

Roku TV hackable?

Strange human sounds - breathing, eating and typing - on my TCL Roku tv

How can I stop anyone from hacking my tv? I've read that the FBI has reported that Roku tvs and others have been hacked.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Please Stop Trashing Roku

@west77 wrote:

I really like my Roku tv but the strange sounds on it - human sounds - really give pause and it indicates hacking, a security breach and even possibly a danger to me and others. I need to have this problem solved. Either Roku communities or Roku help - I hope they do, or I am calling police. I don't feel there is any other reasonable choice. Do you?

When you say human sounds, is the TV talking to you about actions you are taking with the remote? If so, that's something called the Voice Guide. Hit the * button four times quickly to turn it off, or you can completely disable it in the Settings/Accessibility menu. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku TV hackable?

No, I have not heard of any such thing. The registration process has been highjacked by scammers if you don't type the web address in correctly, but not the devices themselves.

Can you be more specific about what you're hearing, and why you believe it's coming from the Roku? I'm not questioning what you're hearing, but need more detailed information.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos