Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
commando_j
Level 8

Roku TV goes back to OTA live after about 1 hour of pause/playback

Several times I have paused the live OTA feed and if I take too long to watch the playback, it will jump to live and I lose the recording. For example, I paused Lego Masters for about 15 minutes. Then I occasionally fast forwarded during the show to skip the commercials. With about 5 minutes left of playback, I pressed the fast forward to skip the last set of commercials. It jumped to live and I lost any playback that was left. (So I don't know who won!).

It's happened many times. My guess right now is there is a 1 hour time limit for someone to watch the paused playback. MAYBE it would have been fine if I didn't try to fast-forward. The loss of playback would always happen around the 1 hour mark of pause/playback when I try to fast-forward. I will try a controlled test.

Has anyone else experienced this? If it's confirmed, this is a pretty **bleep** bug; allowing you 1.5 hours of pausing, but you need to watch it all within 1 hour, and don't try to fast-forward!

Sleep timer is set to 4 hours, no options are set to kick in at the 1 hour mark.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV goes back to OTA live after about 1 hour of pause/playback

It may depend on how big of flash drive you have plugged in?

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
commando_j
Level 8

16GB

0 Kudos
commando_j
Level 8

It is confirmed. If I record for 1 hour, and then begin to watch the recording, I only have 30 minutes to watch that 1 hour recording. This gives the 1.5 hour record time limit. In my last test, I did not touch the remote once I began to play. And 30 minutes later, it jumped to the live broadcast.

I would love if someone else can confirm this. I have a 65" Roku 65R6107 TV. I'm using a 16GB USB stick. I can try with a larger capacity, but the manual states:

"A USB flash drive (thumb drive) meeting the minimum requirements is highly recommended. However, using a larger drive does not extend the 90 minute pause time."

So that would mean 16GB is enough for 1.5 hours. And in any case, I'm only doing 1 hour. What I figure is going on is that as I watch it, the TV is still recording. As I hit that 1.5 hour limit, it jumps back to live. What it should do, is begin to over-write the content at the beginning of the recording, like a typical DVR would do.

As a user,  I would consider this a bug.

0 Kudos
BuddyLewis
Level 7

I have found the same issue on both my ROKU tv’s. One is a Westinghouse and the other is a Hisense. I am also now having and issue where it will randomly pause the recording playback. The play button doesn’t work at this point and I have found hitting fast forward then play immediately afterward will restart at about the right point. I have two different branded USB Sticks so I believe a software update could help this problem out. 

0 Kudos