Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
commando_j
Level 8

Roku TV goes back to OTA live after about 1 hour of pause/playback

Several times I have paused the live OTA feed and if I take too long to watch the playback, it will jump to live and I lose the recording. For example, I paused Lego Masters for about 15 minutes. Then I occasionally fast forwarded during the show to skip the commercials. With about 5 minutes left of playback, I pressed the fast forward to skip the last set of commercials. It jumped to live and I lost any playback that was left. (So I don't know who won!).

It's happened many times. My guess right now is there is a 1 hour time limit for someone to watch the paused playback. MAYBE it would have been fine if I didn't try to fast-forward. The loss of playback would always happen around the 1 hour mark of pause/playback when I try to fast-forward. I will try a controlled test.

Has anyone else experienced this? If it's confirmed, this is a pretty **bleep** bug; allowing you 1.5 hours of pausing, but you need to watch it all within 1 hour, and don't try to fast-forward!

Sleep timer is set to 4 hours, no options are set to kick in at the 1 hour mark.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: Roku TV goes back to OTA live after about 1 hour of pause/playback

It may depend on how big of flash drive you have plugged in?

Edmund
0 Kudos
commando_j
Level 8

16GB

0 Kudos
commando_j
Level 8

It is confirmed. If I record for 1 hour, and then begin to watch the recording, I only have 30 minutes to watch that 1 hour recording. This gives the 1.5 hour record time limit. In my last test, I did not touch the remote once I began to play. And 30 minutes later, it jumped to the live broadcast.

I would love if someone else can confirm this. I have a 65" Roku 65R6107 TV. I'm using a 16GB USB stick. I can try with a larger capacity, but the manual states:

"A USB flash drive (thumb drive) meeting the minimum requirements is highly recommended. However, using a larger drive does not extend the 90 minute pause time."

So that would mean 16GB is enough for 1.5 hours. And in any case, I'm only doing 1 hour. What I figure is going on is that as I watch it, the TV is still recording. As I hit that 1.5 hour limit, it jumps back to live. What it should do, is begin to over-write the content at the beginning of the recording, like a typical DVR would do.

As a user,  I would consider this a bug.

0 Kudos
BuddyLewis
Level 7

I have found the same issue on both my ROKU tv’s. One is a Westinghouse and the other is a Hisense. I am also now having and issue where it will randomly pause the recording playback. The play button doesn’t work at this point and I have found hitting fast forward then play immediately afterward will restart at about the right point. I have two different branded USB Sticks so I believe a software update could help this problem out. 

0 Kudos