Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku TV flashing black screen

Jump to solution
My TV seems to be flashing in and out with a black screen since last night. Anyone else having this problem and how can I fix it. I restarted the TV and factory reset but it temporarily fixes the problem...... help
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku TV flashing black screen

Jump to solution

Alright, so I got my 2nd Roku Express last night for my bedroom (my 1st one is in my living room). I've used a few Roku devices over the years and never had this "flashing black screen" problem...until last night. I got on here and no one seems to know the cause of it, not even the Roku staff, so this must mean it's a TV problem...and I think it is.

I have my new Roku Express plugged into my 42 inch Samsung Smart TV (using all the stock cables and accessories that came with the Roku Express), a few minutes after setup I noticed the screen would flash black every 20 seconds or so, regardless of whatever the Roku was doing, the display would simply black out for a few seconds, then turn back on. The Roku doesn't turn off or anything, and I can still hear the sound of the Roku while the screen is black...so after finding no help online, I decided to do an experiment. I looked closer at my TV settings and noticed something...my TV has different picture mode options for each HDMI connection (Dynamic, Standard, Natural, and Movie); I mostly use Dynamic because it gives me more control over how I want the image to look with brightness/contrast settings etc. But when the TV runs in "game mode" (accelerating the speed of the video signal - most high-end TVs have an option like this), it restricts the picture mode to "standard," cutting out any post-image processing and providing the most direct interpretation of the source video signal (i.e. the Roku Express).

I fixed the black screen problem by changing my picture mode to "standard" instead of "dynamic." I toggled the settings back and forth and I can 100% confirm that this is what the problem was. TVs that do any sort of post-image processing like hue/saturation/contrast adjustments to the HDMI signal will cause the Roku to flash black screens periodically.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out. Have you contacted the TV manufacturer yet to report this issue and request additional support? 

In order to provide further guidance or suggestions, we'll need a few more details to better understand the issue you are seeing. 

- When does this behavior occur? When you first turn the TV on, when you are viewing the home screen/menus, while you are watching content, etc.?
- Are you watching a streaming channel when you notice this, an HDMI input device, or the antenna tuner?
- What version/build of software is your TV running from Settings>System>About? 

I'd recommend starting by contacting the TV manufacturer for more help. Feel free to reply with the extra details above, or PM me directly for further assistance. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Yes I've contacted customer support about it. It happens a few minutes after I turn the TV on. It started happening last night as I was on my amazon firestick watching a movie on an app
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution
Thanks for the details here. Does this occur if you try watching any other channels? 

Please PM me with your Roku account email address and I'll help take a closer look to see if there is anything else we can suggest. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
I removed the power plug completely from the TV and it stopped flashing for a while but then I went out, returned home turned the TV on and it started flashing again after maybe 5 mins
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
The version my TV is running off of is 4170
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Tanner my model 3900x started flashing black screen. I changed HDMI ports same thing. Reset button no help. Checked with visiono known problems. it will start flashing within 2 mins of start up. All other options on TV work fine. HELP ME
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution
@syaoran

Does this same issue occur if you use the Roku TVs own native streaming channels (apps)? If not, this may likely be an issue with the input device you are using, and you'd want to contact that manufacturer directly for further assistance. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution
@seventyfourci

Sorry to hear about the issue. A couple questions here: 

- Have you replaced the HDMI cable in use, or tried using a different HDMI port on the TV? 
- When does this flashing occur; while viewing the home screen/menus, while watching a specific streaming channel, etc? 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Alright, so I got my 2nd Roku Express last night for my bedroom (my 1st one is in my living room). I've used a few Roku devices over the years and never had this "flashing black screen" problem...until last night. I got on here and no one seems to know the cause of it, not even the Roku staff, so this must mean it's a TV problem...and I think it is.

I have my new Roku Express plugged into my 42 inch Samsung Smart TV (using all the stock cables and accessories that came with the Roku Express), a few minutes after setup I noticed the screen would flash black every 20 seconds or so, regardless of whatever the Roku was doing, the display would simply black out for a few seconds, then turn back on. The Roku doesn't turn off or anything, and I can still hear the sound of the Roku while the screen is black...so after finding no help online, I decided to do an experiment. I looked closer at my TV settings and noticed something...my TV has different picture mode options for each HDMI connection (Dynamic, Standard, Natural, and Movie); I mostly use Dynamic because it gives me more control over how I want the image to look with brightness/contrast settings etc. But when the TV runs in "game mode" (accelerating the speed of the video signal - most high-end TVs have an option like this), it restricts the picture mode to "standard," cutting out any post-image processing and providing the most direct interpretation of the source video signal (i.e. the Roku Express).

I fixed the black screen problem by changing my picture mode to "standard" instead of "dynamic." I toggled the settings back and forth and I can 100% confirm that this is what the problem was. TVs that do any sort of post-image processing like hue/saturation/contrast adjustments to the HDMI signal will cause the Roku to flash black screens periodically.

View solution in original post